Color Me Matte: Kat Von D Everlasting Mini Liquid Lipstick Set

by - Wednesday, June 21, 2017

Tiny tubes of colorful happiness.


Christmas 2016 was pretty dope because I got to spend time with my family, eat shitloads of food (cooked by momma and otherwise), and I got this pretty awesome gift from my sister: the Kat Von D Everlasting Mini Liquid Lipstick Set.


The Kat Von D Everlasting Mini Liquid Lipstick Set was part of the beauty brand's 2016 Holiday collection. Inside the matte black box are eight 3ml tubes of matte liquid lipsticks, 6 of which are permanent or "must-haves" and 2 that are new exclusives. I quite like the concept of this set as you get to sample Kat Von D's liquid lippies without fully committing to the full-sized tubes. And these are just so damn cute, they're impossible to resist.

In this set you have three shades of pinks, two purples, two reds, and a blue. I think my only gripe with the color selection is that the overall feel is too cool toned. As someone who has a medium to dark skintone, I find that not all of the shades suit me as some make me look sick or washed out and some just look weird on me. However, I appreciate the unconventional colors. Blue lippies? TAKE MY MONEY. 

Without further ado, here are the swatches + my opinions!

Disclaimer: the liquid lippies were all applied with a brush and I'm wearing two layers. Also, I have quite pigmented lips so the lippies may look different on me compared to other people's swatches.

LOVESICK
- a mauve nude. I feel like this shade is a tad too light and too cool for me. However, I think this is the most versatile color as you can pretty much mix it with the others with ease. 

MOTHER
-a dusty mauve pink. This is actually one of my favorites and I love how it packs more punch than Lovesick. It definitely looks darker and pinker on me but I still love it.

BACKSTAGE BAMBI
- a vivid hot pink. BB is too bright for my life, I can't even. I admit that this type of shade isn't my cup of tea so I guess I'm just weirded out by it. It reminds me of those neon highlighters I constantly used back in highschool, tbh. This is something I won't wear on a daily basis but more on special events that require an insane amount of color, like festivals, concerts, or you know, a child's birthday party. 

SANTA SANGRE
-poison apple red. It was one of those shades that I initially didn't like because I prefer darker hues of red but you know what, it wasn't that bad at all. Yes it's still brighter that the reds I like but it's a good alternative. It is a true apple red, I'd give it that.

PLATH
- a deep russet red. This is one of the exclusive shades in this kit (Update: Plath is now permanent!) and one I totally dig. It's deep, has a brown undertone, and just makes my heart sing. This is a shade I'd use in the evening, just to amp up its dark, mysterious vibe, you know? Absolutely in LOVE with this.

L.U.V.
-a rich violet. I don't know about you but I am LIVING for this. I didn't expect to be obsessed with this shade but alas, here I am pouring my emotions over an unconventional shade. I quite like how this shade is both bright and deep and doesn't look like a neon highlighter. I admit, this one wasn't a breeze to work with as it tends to be patchy especially when it's not yet set, but hey ho, I'll just look the other way because I love it too much to hate on it.

ROXY
-a bright grape. Now before anything, please know that I tried my best to make it look true to color in the photos. I TRIED, you guys. But I still ended up with a blue-looking lippie so please, just head over to Temptalia's post to see the real color of Roxy. Gotta say it upfront: this is my least fave of the bunch. It's just patchy and uneven, no matter how many times you try to fix it. Shame as it's the other exclusive shade in this set. Oh well.

ECHO
-a satin navy blue. Now THIS I am down for. It's has the same issues as Roxy in terms of application but it's a touch easier to work with. Because it's a dark shade, the unevenness and patchiness of the color isn't as obvious as Roxy's. This shade of blue, though. So gorgeous! I'd totally wear this on a concert...or when I'm just lounging around the house. Casual.

What I like about these liquid lippies is that even though they're really matte, they don't feel too drying on the lips. Even though they've set, they still retain a hint of tackiness, just enough that you can still move your lips and not feel cement-like. These can quite highlight the dry patches of your lips so I recommend lip prep or even a thin layer of balm beforehand. Do they show your lip lines? Yes. Does it bother me? Not that much as I quite like the look of it. Also, these don't budge easily. They won't transfer unless they come in contact with something oily.

Overall, this is a good set as I get to sample Kat Von D's famed products without buying the full-sized tubes. Sure, they're not consistent in terms of application but pigmentation is superb and the staying power is astounding. This set just made me want to try other shades and I can't wait to use them as eye liners, haha! 

My personal picks: Echo, L.U.V., Plath, and Mother.

You May Also Like

0 comments