Pucker Up: essence XXXL Longlasting Lipgloss in 06 Soft Nude

by - Wednesday, December 23, 2015

A lipgloss in a matte formula? Now wait a minute...

It's no secret that essence cosmetics is one of my favorite drugstore brands. I have a few of their lipsticks, a couple of concealers, a shitload of their nail polishes, several eye makeup products, and other interesting bits and bobs. It amazes me how they come up with new products. Not all excite me, but a few pique my interest. Including this lipgloss.

They have a ton of choices when it comes to lipgloss but this in particular is intriguing. In this age of liquid lipsticks, who wouldn't be interested with the XXXL Longlasting Lipgloss: The Matt? Yes, you've read that right- a matte lipgloss. You can already tell that this isn't your typical lipgloss that's glossy and transparent/translucent. This is something else.


On the stand I saw this in, there were two shades of matte lipgloss. One's a candy apple red an the other one's this, 06 Soft Nude, a lovely muted rose shade with a brown undertone. It's such a gorgeous color and it's something I'll pick up in a jiffy if it was in lipstick form. It's such a wearable color and totally appropriate for any age. 

On the lips, the brown undertone looks more prominent. Actually, this is pretty cool if you want lips ala Kylie Jenner! 

Because it's a soft matte, the lipgloss isn't heavy nor drying on the lips, You won't have that cement feeling you commonly have when wearing a proper liquid lipstick. However, unlike liquid lipsticks, this doesn't set, proof that this is indeed a lipgloss and not a lipstick. When you rub your lips together, you will feel the shift of the product, resulting to unevenness. It's also not smudge-proof so it will stick on anything upon contact. So yeah, I guess this isn't longlasting after all.

Application's a bit tricky too. It's not like you can just slap it on and go. Since this isn't an opaque product, you might have to coat your lips two or three times but each coat is a challenge since the product doesn't really stick on the lips. When you go for a second coat, the first coat will just move so you have to go back again to have even coverage. It's quite time consuming and quite irritating, to be honest.


Ultimately, I think this would perform better with a lip pencil underneath as it won't hold on its own. I guess it needs something to stick to just so it won't shift everywhere. I don't really see the point of applying this on top of an opaque lipstick but I guess it's worth a try. Might end up with some interesting colors.

Would I repurchase? No, I think not. But if it's any consolation, I absolutely love the scent of this lipgloss. It legit smells like cookie dough batter with tons of vanilla and I dig that. It tastes sweet too so it's like having cookie dough batter syrup on the lips. Haha!

You May Also Like

0 comments