Brick-y Berry: Revlon Super Lustrous Lipstick in Rum Raisin

by - Wednesday, August 28, 2019


Creme lip.
One beauty trend I remember very clearly is the brown lip trend. I remember just loving it because I saw brown lip as this cool and edgy look but still wearable for everyday, depending on what shade of brown you use, of course. Being the fanatic that I am, my eyes zeroed in on every brown lipstick possible. Forget the pinks, the mauves, and the reds- the browns are what's important. Looking back, my brown lip obsession was definitely worse than my deep hue lip obsession.

I was obsessed with brown lip for a while until I read a tweet that wearing brown lipstick looks like having Nutella smeared all over your puckers. I read that and suddenly realization hit me: it's so freaking true. And in that moment, my obsession with brown lips is waned and before I knew it I was back in the loving arms of my pinks and mauves.

I still love a good brown lip although nowadays I prefer brown to be the undertone rather than the main color. One example is this lippie Imma talk about now.


Here I have Rum Raisin, part of Revlon's Super Lustrous Lipstick line. According to the Revlon site, the Super Lustrous Lipstick line "is the perfect combination of high-impact color in a super-moisturizing formula." The super-moisturizing formula is apparently because of the vitamin E and avocado oil infused in the lippies. The line has 4 finishes: matte, creme, pearl, and sheer.

Rum Raisin is described as a "creamy medium berry" and has a creme finish. Rum Raisin definitely has berry tones but it doesn't look too red/pink berry because of the brown undertone that grounds it, making it more like a brick shade, that's red+brown with a touch of orange. It's quite a unique shade that I think is perfect for everyday, any occasion, and any workplace. I'd say this is good on mature users because it's bright but muted, if that makes sense. I have a feeling my mom would somehow like this shade.


For me, this has a medium coverage that I think can be built to a full one. As expected, this was pretty moisturizing and feels light on the lips. It doesn't feel too creamy that it's too drag-y on the lips but it's not too thin that it feels like a balm. 

Since this is a regular lipstick, it has the tendency to smear and transfer easily and it would definitely be a good idea to use a lip liner beforehand to help prolong the wear of this lipstick. Reapplying is a must.

For some reason, this shade reminds me of those who work in offices because it looks quite professional but fun, you know? It's not just a plain nude or a muted pink or a candy apple red. It's different yet still work appropriate. Personally, I don't think it's my shade, maybe because I'm just really into mauves, taupes, and cranberry reds and Rum Raisin feels a bit mature for me. I think I'll pass this either to mom of my sister. I really think they'd rock this better.

I, however, like the formula of the Super Lustrous line and that alone is enough to convince me to try other shades from this line and recommend it to anyone. It's hydrating and light on the lips- what's not to like? I'm quite curious to see how the mattes fare particularly because that is my currently my finish of choice. Really Red looks banging!


You May Also Like

0 comments