A Soft Glow: Benefit Cosmetics Watt's Up! Highlighter

by - Friday, August 30, 2019


For that everyday glow up.


When I went to Europe, I packed a few makeup items. In fact, here are the things I brought with me: a brow mascara + extra spoolie, a mascara, an eyelash curler, a highlighter, and 4 lipsticks. Looking back, it was overkill to bring 4 lipsticks because I only ended up using two (Colourpop More Better and Sunnies Face Mood). I didn't bring any bases because I knew I wouldn't have the time to apply it and I also somehow knew that I really couldn't be bothered. What pleasantly surprised me was enjoying the highlighter. I kept wearing it because of it was subtle but still made me feel made up without looking and doing too much.

The trip got me to really test out Benefit Cosmetics' Watt's Up! Cream Highlighter. The one I have is travel-sized, totally bag-friendly because it didn't weigh much and take too much space. I honestly didn't expect to really like it but I found myself wearing it everyday during that trip and I just knew I had to at least feature it in the blog. So here it is.


The Watt's Up! Cream Highlighter is described as a "soft focus highlighter that creates a long-lasting and well-defined appearance." The product has a cream to powder finish and offers a delicate rose gold glow that gives the skin a luminous sheen. It can be used on its own or on top of makeup.

Now here are a few reasons why I liked this product so much:

1. It's very easy to apply. The full size product includes an applicator at the bottom of the tube but honestly, you don't need it. I used my fingers to blend this out and it was so easy and seamless. It wasn't patchy at all and it didn't lessen its luminosity.

2. It looks good on its own. On my bare face, it looks subtle but it makes a difference. It makes my skin look more fresh and alive and well, awake. The sheen isn't too overboard so it just looks like a natural subtle glow. I love it.


3. The rose gold hue is perfect for olive skin. I can never get on board with some highlighters because of the undertone. Some are too icy and cool, some are too pink, some too orange-y gold. The rose gold tone of Watt's Up! is perfect for my skintone because it just blends with my skin. It doesn't show up as this gold or icy thing on my face. It has the right amount of warmth that just goes really well with my skintone.

4. Its formula. Products with a cream to powder formula are my fave things to work with because they're not messy to use. Watt's Up! isn't sticky at all and doesn't smear or transfer, perfect if you're wearing a base. It also feels buttery in a way but not heavy on the skin.


If there's one thing I didn't like, it's probably the glittery particles in it but at this point, I'm just nitpicking really. I've encountered highlighters with really chunky glitters so I don't think the minuscule glitters on Watt's Up! is a deal breaker. 

Watt's Up! is perfect for those like me who just want a subtle glow. If you're more into the blinding ones, your might find Watt's Up! a bit weak. But if you're looking for an everyday natural glow, then this is your guy. I love using it on my brow bone areas, cupid's bow, nose bridge, and cheekbones, then I brush up my brows and put on a bold lip- easy peasy.

You May Also Like

0 comments