Essence Coverstick: 03 Matt Honey

by - Monday, August 19, 2013

Oh hai there! Here's a little review on Essence's Coverstick. I got this last month (see this post for reference) and I've been using it recently. I picked this up because I wanted to see if it can conceal or lighten my dark circles but apparently this Coverstick is for covering small spots and redness on the face. Since I'm nothing but curious, I tried it on my dark circles anyway. :P


 I think I saw three or four shades of this Coverstick in person. Out of those, 03 Matt Honey was the closest to my color. For these Coversticks, you really have to swatch them in person. You think the first shade is the lightest and the last shade is the darkest? WRONG. Correct me if I'm wrong but it seemed to me that shades 1-3 are yellow-based and shades 4 & 5 are pink-based. Their bullets may seem yellow and the same but they're not.

Speaking of bullets, the Coversticks come in bullets. Yes, like lipstick bullet bullet. 
 In this swatch, you can really see how yellow-toned it is. It's still a shade lighter than me but I always tell myself that it's easier to work with lighter concealers than darker ones. It's a bit on the hard side but it's creamy enough to blend. 

Here's a demo.

Problem areas: dark circles & a cluster of pimples + redness

Before:

During:


After:
As you can see, it didn't conceal my dark circles entirely but it did lighten them. On my pimple spot however, it reduced the redness and made them a little unnoticeable. So yep, I think this works best on redness and little spots. On dark circles, I give it a passing grade because it did work a little. Coverage is sheer but this concealer is buildable. Also, take into consideration that it doesn't have a cream to powder formula so setting it with a powder is required. Staying power is quite good actually since I wore it for around 6 hours with no retouching it and it was still there. It didn't crease on me and I saw minimal fading.

All in all, I think Essence's Coverstick is a good product. It's very affordable too since it's just below S$5. Since it's small, you can easily take it everywhere with you; you can even put it in your pocket or purse! I recommend this for those who want to cover small spots here and there without having the heavy feeling of thick concealer. This one's great for beginners in makeup and for those who are on a budget.

You May Also Like

0 comments