'If Easy Was A Crime' Part Two: They're Real! Push-Up Liner

by - Wednesday, May 25, 2016

Item two of three.


Continuation of my review of the products in the "If Easy Was A Crime" kit by Benefit. Today I'll be reviewing the liner and spoiler alert: I'm not impressed.


Benefit's Push-Up Liner was as hyped as the They're Real! mascara as it's the first pen-type eyeliner with a slanted tip that supposedly makes winged liner easier to achieve. Some liked it, some didn't, some think it's gimmicky. Personally, it's a pass- at least the one on this kit anyway.

The liner is wrapped in this kit, perhaps to avoid drying the product out. The product's really small in this kit, only 0.10g versus the full-sized one that's 1.4g. By removing the cap, you'll see the rubberized body, as well as the orange tip protector and the slanted edge, both are AccuFlex. After removing the orange protector, I had a dilemma.

How the flying frog do I get the product out!? I mean, I'm not a stranger to the Push-Up Liner. I know it's a twist-type product. You twist the bottom cap of the pen and product comes out, easy effing peasy. But it wasn't a walk in the park with this liner, apparently. I think I spent the first few minutes twisting the bottom half that I broke the ring.
Whoopsies.

After several minutes of not having any product on the tip, I finally glanced at the box, hoping to find some answers to this problem. And there my answer was. On the box, I read: "Gently squeeze base of tip to 'push up' gel liner to tip." Well shit, I didn't know Push-up Liner was to be taken literally. -_-


So after I've pushed the base and all that, I managed to finally get the product out! To be honest, they should've made this sample a twist-up pen too because that's way easier to use. Moving past that, I can't deny that this looks promising. The AccuFlex tip is really soft and looks really helpful for liner application. It's a bummer that the product isn't as good, though.

So why is my swatch on my hand and not on my eye? Simple: the product isn't too workable for liner application. The product didn't feel too soft; in fact, it was a a bit harder than kohls and regular pencil liners. However, it keeps breaking and flaking off. It can't draw a single line without breaking or flaking everywhere. If swatching it on the back of my hand was a challenge, how'd you think it'd fare on my eyes? So wearing the liner and testing it was a no-go.

Despite not being able to wear it, based on the swatches, I'll give it to the Push-Up liner: the pigmentation isn't too bad. It's jet black and it's very matte. The texture is on the drier side though, quite like dried up gel liner. The product is quite waterproof too as it didn't run when I doused water on it. It smudged when I rubbed hard but I wasn't able to fully erase it.

Overall, I think this is the weakest product in this kit. Wish they just included a liquid liner instead of this one or an actual twist-up baby version of the Push-Up because I was not able to use it at all. The only redeeming feature of this product is the AccuFlex tip as it really had potential. It bends easily, isn't scratchy, and has the right amount of thickness. I think the tip itself would really make me check out the full sized tube of this liner. And hopefully, the product is better on that one.


You May Also Like

0 comments