Pinky Plum: MAC Satin Lipstick in Captive

by - Wednesday, September 11, 2019


Berry. Again.

I'm back with another lipstick of Mom's haha! I swear I feel like a little girl again, rummaging through mom's makeup kit but now it's more like borrowing than just plain curiosity. Growth, eh?


Usually I'd take little interest in mom's makeup kit because we have different preferences (example: she prefers eye brow pencils, I prefer brow mascara) but this one piqued my interest. This lippie was gifted to her and when I saw the shade, I just knew I had to borrow it, at least for blogging's sake. Here I have MAC Satin Lipstick in Captive.


In case you haven't noticed or you're new here, this is the first time I'll be featuring a MAC lippie because guess what? I haven't owned one ever! Not owning any MAC lippie is bizarre yet comforting to me but hey, at least I get to borrow one now. Thanks, Mom!

Captive is part of MAC's Satin lip line, described as "a creamy lipstick formula with a soft cushiony feel, medium-to-full buildable coverage and a satin finish." There are at least 29 shades listed in the MAC website, ranging from nudes, pinks, reds, to a light periwinkle.


Captive falls in the berry category and is described as a pinkish-plum. It may seem like a dark plum on the tube but the color lightens a bit when you apply it and becomes more of a light pink plum.  On my skintone, it looks more of a berry shade with a heavy pink undertone. Really cute color that can be used on a daily basis. It has a medium finish but is indeed buildable to full opacity.


Formula-wise, it feels lighter and a bit thinner, at least in comparison to my Colourpop lippies. Captive feels a bit more slippery and doesn't feel as thick and creamy. It glides easily on the lips and I experienced no skipping or tugging. Since it's a satin, it feel moisturizing on the lips and can easily tame dry patches. It's that kind of lipstick that you can just slap on and go.

Since it has a medium build, it didn't fully cover or conceal my dark lips but at least it didn't highlight it either. Two coats of this lippie does the job for an everyday look but you could always line your lips with a plum lip liner beforehand to make Captive a shade deeper and to also make it last longer. I mean, it's a satin lippie; it's bound to transfer and smear but with a lip liner underneath, it has a stronger chance of staying.

This is my first time trying a MAC lippie and I have to be honest, I wasn't mindblown. The satin finish and the opacity was nothing new, very unlike Colourpop lippies that were just freaking amazing in terms of coverage, texture, and opacity. Captive's not bad (I mean, I've tried worse ones before) but it's not the best either. It's an okay shade that's great for everyday, at least a great alternative for nude pinks and such.

Thank for letting me borrow this, Mom! It's all yours now. 😅

You May Also Like

0 comments