Sampling Samples: By Terry Hyaluronic Hydra-Powder Face Powder

by - Friday, May 27, 2022

 


Translucent matte.

Here I am again, reviewing mini products for you guys. Today's mini is a bit different because 1). it's not in a sachet, and 2). it's not a cream or liquid product- it's a powder. I got this last December when my sister shipped us a box of goodies from SG. She knows I love samples but no lie, I got shook when I saw this product among the sachets. A By Terry mini??? And a powder no less?? Count me in!

I'll be talking about By Terry's Hyaluronic Hydra-Powder, a loose translucent powder that is infused with skincare benefits of hyaluronic acid in its highest form: in pure silica miscrospheres. The hyaluronic acid in this powder's formula helps maintain the skin's optimum moisture level and its antioxidant action strengthens the skin’s protective barrier. 

By Terry describes this as a non-drying mattifying powder that promises to control shine, blur minor imperfections, minimize pores, even out skin tone, and fill in fine lines. On the skin, expect a weightless feel and a flawless and perfectly smooth finish.

This product is 100% natural, vegan, and suitable for all skin types. It is available in two sizes: a 1.5g pot and a 10g pot. (The one I have here is a 1.3g pot but it's more of a freebie and not available for sale).


The Hydra Powder has the same look as your standard loose translucent powder- white but becomes "transparent" when blended out. This powder is quite different from the ones I've used before, especially its feel. If the powders I've used before feel creamy but a bit hefty, the Hydra-Powder feels very airy, smooth, and has matte silicon-y feel. 


I use this powder to bake some areas on my face, like the undereyes, T-zone, and sides of my nose and mouth. I apply the powder by stamping it onto my face with my damp blender, let it sit for a good 5-10(-ish) minutes, then dust and buff it with my powder brush.


I'm gonna start with the pros of this powder. First, I like that it's true to its translucent/colorless claim. This powder didn't alter the color of my base that much which is a huge relief because I've tried some powders before that just made my base 2-3 shades lighter. 

Second, it feels very lightweight on the skin. There are some powders that feel very powdery and will look powdery on the skin but that's not the case with this product. I like that it sets my base beautifully without feeling to heavy and obvious on the skin. 

Third, it really makes my skin look smoother than it is and also feel smooth to the touch. 

Fourth, I like its setting ability. I especially love using it on my undereye area because it does an amazing job in keeping concealer creases at bay while also keeping that area hydrated.  

Lastly, it's true that this powder is non-drying. I feel like my skin and pores could still breathe underneath and not clogged up with product.


I don't have a lot of cons with this powder but here's my main "issue" with it, I guess: it has the tendency to cling onto the dry patches/areas on my skin. As I've mentioned before, I use this product for baking and I notice that there are some areas where I have to sweep away/buff the powder more because it has clung onto the textured parts of my face, like the sides of my mouth and nose and a bit on my cheeks. I can't just brush this powder haphazardly or I'll end up with powdery patches on my face. Thankfully, I find that misting my face after setting helps melt the powder into my skin more.

Neutral opinion: I have a normal to dry skin type with a bit of an oily T-zone and I find that this powder has an okay oil control ability. I noticed that when I do get oily, it doesn't look too greasy. Instead, this powder gives more of a glowy appearance, one that I don't bother blotting. However, if you have a proper oily skin, you might find this a bit weak on the oil control department. If you have a dry skin type, I think you'll like this product.

Overall, I think this powder is worth trying out if you're looking for a high-end setting powder. It feels very lightweight on the skin and it does a good job in setting my makeup. I like that it makes my skin's appearance look smooth and even without that powdery feel. Lastly, it's a great skin mattifier that gives more of a healthy looking matte rather than a drying matte. Since this powder is more on the expensive side, I think I'm gonna save this for special occasions. Gotta save this powder as much as I can haha!

You May Also Like

0 comments