Nichido Matted Palette Review

by - Wednesday, March 26, 2014

When I got the BeautyBook bag last month, the Matted palette by Nichido was probably the beauty product that made me excited the most. I always see this palette whenever I pass by beauty sections in department stores and I've always been curious about it so I was really glad to finally have it! I played with it as soon as I can and here's what I think about it.

 When I opened the palette, I was sort of glad that it's not entirely a neutral palette. Wait, what? Did a neutral palette-loving person just say that? Yessir. I mean, don't get me wrong, I love neutral palettes but there's just something refreshing about non-neutral ones, don't you think? Plus this palette isn't really a full on color palette; it's quite a mix of both.

The palette has 8 shadows, all technically wearable. You have white, light grey, violet, and yellow on the left side; light blue, champagne nude, plummy brown, and chocolate brown on the right. On the bottom of the shadows are two blushes, a pink and a coral brown. Looks like it has potential, yeah? Well, about that...

Uh Oh.
Thing is, I really thought this will be somewhat good. I mean, look at the swatches. Quite good for an affordable palette, right? Not really. The texture of the shadows vary. Some are smooth, some are chalky. Some are opaque, some are sheer. The shadows are all inconsistent. And OH MY FREAKING GOODNESS, what is UP with the glitters?!? Last time I checked this was a matte palette, not a shimmery/glittery one! The glitters were all over my cheek area and undereye area when I was packing, yes, packing, the shadows on my lid. Another issue: the shadows go on sheer mode when applied on the lid/crease. When you blend it, it sheers to the nth level and this goes on and on and on. You pack, you blend, it goes away. Here are the eye looks I did:
(violet on the lid, light gray on the center of the lid, yellow on the lower lashline, & white as brow bone highlight)

(plummy brown on inner and outer corners of the lid, light blue on the center, chocolate brown on the crease and lower lashline, and champagne nude as brow bone & inner corner highlight)

Glitter party, anyone? I applied primer before putting the shadows on and well, they're that. Most pigmented would have to be the violet and light gray shadow. I quite like the plummy shadow but not enough to make me rave about it. But yeah, there's that. In case you're wondering, I haven't used the blushes yet. Why? Because the pans are so small for my blush brushes! Seriously, what brush should I use with it, a blending brush? -_-

So rating. I'd give it a 2.5/5 rating, the .5 for the price. It's an okay-ish palette but definitely not something to use for paid gigs and all that. I wish they'd tone down remove the glitters. I mean, come on, if you say it's a matte palette, it should be a matte palette! Siiiiiiiiigh.

You May Also Like

0 comments