A Pop of New Color

by - Wednesday, January 21, 2015

Whenever I see a palette, I always check out the neutral shades. Browns, subtle pinks, wearable golds, the blackest of blacks...neutrals will always be my first love in makeup. But sometimes, they can look the same to the point where you can find a high-end shadow dupe in the drugstore. Plus, admit it, too much neutrals can sometimes be boring. And when things get boring, I reach for the one thing that will instantly shoo the woes away- color.

I like to have fun and interesting colors in my eyeshadow collection although most of them are shades that caught my eye. I don't like too bright, neon-y shadows; I like duochromes, and I really like shades with red undertones. As for finish, I like shimmer but colorful shades that are matte always, always get me. Hence, this shadow.


I got this shadow while checking out the Jazzy Cosmetics counter. I don't know why but I just had an urge to buy a new shadow. New year, new shadow me think. I swatched the shadows over and over and I always go back to one particular shadow: #12.

First of all, this shade is so hard to capture on camera! It ends up looking redder, sometimes pinky, sometimes a bright color as opposed to a nice, dark hue. The photos in this post are the closest I can get. So lemme describe the color as how I see it. First glance, it looks like a deep magenta. It's a unique shade, at least for me. Then I got to swatching it and I realized that it looks like a deep violet with a 1:1 ratio of pink and red. When used more and blended out, it looks like a shade of red seen on a bruise. I kid you not, I think this could be used for making SFX bruise makeup. Crayzay! This shade actually reminds me of a Kryolan shade I used during SFX week in beauty school. 

In terms of texture, it doesn't feel as buttery as, say, Urban Decay shadows. These feel a bit gritty- chalky, maybe?- but pigmented. It's pigmented enough to stain your fingers when you swatch it. :)) It's pigmented on its own but with a primer, it's gorgeous! I didn't have a hard time using it on my lids although it stained my blending brush. :P In case you missed it, here's the look where I used this shadow.
I would totally wear this look any day, just sayin'. To make an intimidating color wearable, incorporate earthy shades like brown or taupe. Those kinds of color tame down such an eye-catching color like #12. If you want something more fun, use this as a pop of color on either the middle of the lid, lower lashline, or even a peek-a-boo color on the crease. I also find that eyeliner makes a difference too.

In case you were wondering, I got this in SM Masinag from a Jazzy Cosmetics counter although I'm 80% sure these shadows are from the brand Pinkies Collections. The shadows were on sale that time so I got it for 50% off. There are a few more shades that caught my eye so I think another counter visit is in order. Teehee.


You May Also Like

4 comments

  1. im the same as you, i never really stray too far from neautrals.. however this colour looks so amazing on you! youre so talented at eyemakeup i wish i was haha! id love it if youd comment back http://www.amyelizabethfashion.com/2015/01/gluten-free-blondie-cake-bites.html xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. aww thanks! saw the recipe of you cake bites, looks yummo! x

      Delete
  2. Bored with neutrals? Should I keep Nars Cambodia? :P - Ate

    ReplyDelete