Working with Correctors

by - Friday, June 12, 2015

Color correcting is one of the most important things I learned in makeup school, It makes concealing more precise and it makes imperfections hidden than highlighted. By using correctors, you get to conceal all imperfections while still having a thin layer of face base. God bless all those girls who piles layers and layers of concealer on their faces. 

Correctors can be quite confusing and overwhelming (and scary!) but let me break it all down for you as simple as possible. And I don't know if this is a good thing or a bad thing but I totally skipped everything involving the color wheel. That shit confuses me! :P


Color Correctors
Here are the correctors that I'm familiar with. Two of these shades I use constantly on clients, one I use on myself but not on others, and one bonus corrector.

GREEN
Green correctors are used to cancel out any redness on the face. That includes the sides of the nose, some parts of the cheeks, and pimples. It's also used sometimes to conceal veins. This is a corrector I used in both makeup schools I went to.

ORANGE
This is used cancel to blue hues/darkness in the face, aka dark circles. If you have dark circles (and I mean dark and deep), an orange corrector is your best friend. I use this shade on my dark circles and it makes a huge difference. It makes the dark circles lighter and easier to conceal. This works more on the medium-dark skintone scale. 

YELLOW
A yellow corrector cancels out purple tones and brightens the areas where you apply them. In short, it conceals + highlights! Works best on light-medium skintones. It's also the easiest corrector to have as most cosmetics nowadays have yellow-based face products. *wink wink*

PINK
The bonus color corrector, one I don't really use but some do. Pink is used to cancel brown tones so this color can be used on spots like freckles and even melasma,  It also helps brighten sallow skin and gives it a healthy glow.


HOW I USE CORRECTORS
I was taught two ways: one is to mix them with foundation or to apply it before foundation. I do the former as I find it easier and more accurate. On my dark circles, I tend to apply the orange corrector first before my concealer.

I use cream correctors and I find that they're easier to use with a cream foundation. I ditch the makeup brushes and use blending sponges instead. For spot concealing though, I use a brush to put some product on the imperfections before blending it out with a blending sponge.

xxx

I hope this post was helpful! I tried to make it as brief and simple as I can as I want everyone to know how important and marvelous correctors are. There are a lot of corrector palettes in the market now and some of them are budget friendly- perfect if you want to give color correcting a go! 

You May Also Like

0 comments