Brownie Points for L.A. Colors Lipstick in Mystique Brown

by - Thursday, May 19, 2016

Brown - red - brown


Brown lippies are still in trend, no? Can't really blame the beauty world because the color's so friggin dope. I really like how brown lippies look. The color gives punk, attitude, and grunge without looking too over the top or flashy. They go with such an array of looks, too and they're a good break from the usual pinks and reds. In my opinion, brown based nudes are the freaking best.


I haven't featured a lippie in a while so I thought of featuring this lippie I purchased some time ago. I bought it at a time when brown lippies weren't the "It" thing yet so I guess purchasing this was a foreshadowing of me really digging the brown lip trend? Ha!


This is LA Colors Lipstick in Mystique Brown and I'll tell you right now: this isn't a true brown shade. Yes, I was a bit disappointed with this discovery when I swatched it but when I put it on, I was pretty much sold. The color is more of a brown-based red creme than a red-based brown. Uh, wait, what? What I'm saying is that the shade is dominantly red, maybe a bit plummy even, but there's still a noticeable brown tone going on. Like it's 60% red, 40% brown. If this was a proper brown shade, the percentage would be the other way around. In a way, this is a grounded red. It's not as bright as the regular red shade because the brown tone balances and tones down the pigment of the former color.

Just like its sister lippie Eggplant, it has a vanilla-y Clay Doh-y scent. It smells sweet but you know it's artificial. It doesn't bother me because it isn't that strong. Formula-wise, Mystique Brown was surprisingly better than Eggplant. Both lippies glide smoothly on the lips but this one's less patchy. I always have a problem with Eggplant because it's very patchy on the middle of my lower lip but with this lippie, it's less noticeable. I also didn't have to apply it so many times because with two layers, you're pretty much covered. I also feel like this is more hydrating than Eggplant. I mean, they pretty much have the same formula but this one feels better on the lips.


I mean, that shade tho! I really like how it looks on the lips. It's different but still wearable. I wish it was longlasting though. Because of its creamy formula and because it doesn't really dry, it's prone to transfer pretty much anywhere. It'll probably bleed and/or feather so it's best to have a lip liner underneath and retouch it throughout the day. I'm really pleased with Mystique Brown because it has better coverage and more moisturizing than Eggplant. This is definitely the more workable sibling. ;)

Next time I wear this, there'll be a lip liner underneath. Makes everything smoother, easier, and more longlasting, you know? I feel like this shade can be worn both day and night. It isn't too intense and isn't too rich. It's just the right shade if you're feeling a bit punk...or if you're looking for a new shade to shake things up. It's never too early to make a bold statement, yes? :) Oh, and yes: it does give the illusion of plump lips. One of the reasons why I like them browns. :*

You May Also Like

0 comments