A Pan Full of Wearable Goodness: Guerlain Shadow in 187 L'Instant D'un Soupir

by - Wednesday, September 21, 2016


I literally can't get enough of this. 

Hello there and welcome back! I feel so much better now after 6 days of non-stop sneezing and blowing my nose so here I am with a product review. You might have seen this already in action in my previous EOTD so here's the review/feedback I promised!


Today's product is something that's way more posh than usual, mainly because it is from a totally posh and high-end brand. I think it's safe to say that Guerlain is a well-known brand in the beauty community and market. It joins the ranks of Chanel, Burberry, Givenchy, Marc Jacobs, and Dior when it comes to quality, packaging, price, and overall feel. It's a brand you go to when you want to ogle at some high-end products and the brand you go to when you feel like spending some $$$. Not for everyday shopping but definitely for the occasional treat-yo-self splurging.

I had the chance to go to the annual Luxasia sale in Singapore years ago with my sister so I was able to see and play with some Guerlain products. This one product went to my basket asap because it is such a gorgeous shadow and I just can't get enough of neutrals. Seriously, browns are my faves when it comes to shadows. Give me 10 more neutral palettes and I'll still want more. :P


Before I talk about the product, can we just talk about the packaging for just a minute? My goodness gracious, it's so posh! The product is housed in a reflective gold case with an embossed brand name in the front and the product shade and details in the back. I am so living for this case! It's shiny, it's metallic, it's reflective; everything just screams high-end to me. Real talk, I sometimes hold this case with a towel or a pair of gloves just because this case is such a fingerprint magnet. That's one downside to it, I guess. It's gorgeous and all but it's one that you have to constantly clean because of all the fingerprints it gathers. Doesn't make me like it less, though. :P

Oh, and it comes with its own dustbag. No biggie.


The case comes with a button-ish on the side that acts as the opener. Push it and it'll reveal the contents inside. On the inside you'll see the shadow, an eyeshadow sponge tip applicator, and a decent-sized mirror. (There's also a plastic shield for the eyeshadow but I already removed it beforehand.) The overall feel of this product is just so magnificent and high-end, I love it.


So let's talk about the product now. 187 L'Instant D'un Soupir is a medium brown that looks almost bronze because of its gold shimmers. I don't think the shimmers are just an over-spray; I genuinely think they're part of the shadow. The shimmers are really fine and not at all chunky and they won't move even if you blow on them. 

Pigmentation-wise, it has a decent, almost opaque payoff. If you, say, compare it to the shimmery shadows of Urban Decay, this one isn't too bold or as opaque. But this one feels more refined than UD shadows. It feels softer, albeit not as buttery. I guess it's not too-in-your face but it's definitely not lacking in pigmentation.

Feel-wise, it feels finely milled and soft and delicate. It's not chalky, it's not patchy when applied. In fact, I like that it's very buildable and very easy to work with, even beginners in makeup will find this a breeze to apply. Apparently it can be used wet or dry but I just opted to use it dry mainly because I don't want to ruin such exquisite shadow.

L'Instant D'un Soupir blends out beautifully and easily. It doesn't create harsh lines that take years to blend out. It's a shadow you can use alone or with others, lightly or heavily packed. It performs well without primer but just like any other shadows, it performs best with a primer underneath. Here it is in action:


Another beauty of this shadow? Its color shifts, depending on the light. Sometimes it will look dark, sometimes it's a bronzey shade, times like this it leans on the cooler side. Ain't that cool?

Overall, I really recommend this shadow. It's a good one to have, especially if you're into browns and neutrals. Yes, you can pretty much find a dupe for this one but it's just nice to have something that's good quality and original, you know? JS. x



You May Also Like

0 comments