Kisses from the Voodoo Emporium: Colourpop Creme Lux Lipstick in Dr. Facilier

by - Wednesday, October 30, 2019


"I got voodoo, I got hoodoo, I got things I ain't even tried! And I got friends on the other side." 🎵


It took me a damn while to notice that most of my lippies in my current stash are pinks or pink based/undertoned. I only noticed it one day when I was looking for a brown toned nude only to discover that I have absolutely none. The closest I have to a brown-ish nude is Sunnies Face Mood but I sometimes find that too deep to be worn at 8 in the morning. No, I want a wearable brown toned nude. Not pink, not coral, but also not too Nutella-y. Why don't I have one in my stash??

Then I remembered that I have one, only it's not yet opened. So with excitement in my veins, I finally, finally opened it, wore it, and it's the perfect thing ever. This shade is the missing piece in my lippie puzzle and it just may be my newest favorite. 

Today's the day before Halloween and while I won't be doing any Halloween stuff this year (might be laziness, might be not really feeling it, or might be just the fact I'm getting older, who knows), I thought I'll just feature something with a Disney villain because Disney villains and Halloween just go well together. (Fun fact: my fave Disney villain is Hades from Hercules!)



Colorpop's Disney Villains collection is just something I love so much because the concept and the packaging of this collection is top notch. It's the total opposite of the Designer collection that screams regal and classy and chic; Villains collection has this "welcome to the edgy and dark side. you'll love it here" vibe and I'm here for it!

Before I get to the shade, can I just geek out one sec on this packaging because it is giving me life! From the box to the tube, everything's just a vision to look at. I absolutely LOVE the matte black tube with the silver villain symbols peppered throughout the lippie cap. It's very adorable in an evil chic way and totally my cup of tea. Oh, and the cherry on top? The word VILLAINS etched on the lipstick bullet. That's an excellent touch. Great job, Colourpop! 


When I saw the shades of the lippies in the Villains collection, I was surprised that all of the shades are wearable because of part of me was expecting them to be unconventional shades like a sapphire blue or vibrant violet or snake green- you know, villain colors. But now that I think about it, it makes sense that they went for the usable shades because let's face it, unconventional colors aren't everyone's cup of tea, though I still think they should at least add one or two wild shades.

There are 6 shades in the Villains collection but only Hades and Dr. Facilier are considered nudes or nude-ish. As much as I love the villain Hades, I'm afraid the shade it's named after won't be too flattering on my skintone. My sister and I ultimately went for the shade Dr. Facilier, named after the voodoo bokor in The Princess and the Frog. Dr. Facilier is described as a mid-tone warm berry on the Colourpop site, though I personally see it as a warm red-terracotta shade. 


As with other creme lipsticks of Colourpop, Dr. Facilier is creamy, buttery, and pigmented. It glides on smoothly on the lips with such a good color payoff, perfect for pigmented lips like mine. It's definitely opaque as two layers is definitely enough to achieve an even and excellent color payoff. This lippie is also light on the lips; you won't feel that it's too heavily creamy. It's the kind of formula that stays put, so to speak. I mean, it's no liquid lipstick that dries down and doesn't budge but it's one that stays in place and doesn't feel like a slimy, slick-y mess on the lips. It also feels quite hydrating as well.

We all know the staining power of Colourpop's creme lippies but Dr. Facilier is the kind that still looks okay and not too obvious on the lips. Belle leaves a bright pink stain on the lips even after blotting it one too many times but Dr. Facilier leaves a light brown stain that I can get away with when I can't reapply it asap. Also with this shade, the more you layer it on, the deeper the shade gets so I like the fact that I can play with the color intensity without it feeling too thick on the lips.

This is now my new fave shade and my go-to whenever I don't feel like using a pink lippie. It's just such a flattering color and I do think it'll go with any skintone. A gorgeous everyday shade perfect for any occasion- yes, even for Halloween!

You May Also Like

0 comments