Active Recap: Quad XI

by - Monday, October 28, 2019


11.


Welcome to Active Recap, where I talk/share/review the workout vids I did for the last four days. Please refer to this post to know a bit more about Active Recap and my workout format and sched.

Love,
S




DAY A



I usually start my workouts with a cardio-infused routine but for today, I decided to make it more of a toning leg day (that's usually assigned on Day 2). Sometimes I just don't have the energy to do any cardio, you know?

As with other Summer Sculpt videos of Blogilates, this routine is void of any cardio exercises but will still make your muscles burn. This routine is more thigh and core centered but personally, I felt like it was 80% more leg than core. The main routine only has 5 moves done on each side or leg for two rounds. Simple and easy, right? Well, it is! But let me tell you, the burn will just creep up on you before you know it. The leg circles delivered instant burn on the legs, while the side seals and side plank dippers will fire up your core. The most challenging move for me was the side seal but once I got it, I had fun doing it, flailing and all.




This day's finisher is a short ab + glute routine with a lil bit of low impact cardio. Rebecca used a kettlebell for this routine but I don't have a kettlebell so I used a 9lb free weight instead. The use of a dumbbell or a kettlebell isn't necessary really but it does add challenge to the routine (any routine, really). I mainly felt this on my glutes, especially when the lunges came in. The core moves were okay but I felt like the glutes were more worked in this routine than the core, perfect for a leg day like today!



Workout duration: around 44 minutes, with 1 minute rest in between circuits; warm up and cool down included.




DAY B




This routine is a blend of stretch, cardio, and toning and I love it! Even though this routine is for runners' recovery, I feel like anyone could do it, whether as a light exercise routine or an active recovery routine. The stretches are great especially if you've just done a strenuous leg routine so I think this could be done either after a workout, an active recovery, or as an extension of a warm up for leg day. Great routine overall as it targets not only the legs but also the arms and core.



Ending this leg day with yet another leg routine! Now that the legs and glutes are all warmed up thanks to the previous exercises routine, it's time to get them burning. As soon as I saw Rhys in this video (yes, the same one from the SELF exercise routines I absolutely love), I knew this routine's gonna burn as heck. And yes, it does burn and it's great! This routine definitely burns but is totally doable. It has enough rests in between and the duration for each exercise is just right. There are toning moves and low impact cardio moves so overall a balanced routine. I don't own a bench so if you're like me and you're doing this at home, you can use a chair or stairs instead. I used the stairs in our front yard for the step ups and Bulgarian split squats. Totally worked like a charm.



Workout duration: around 42 minutes, with 1 minute rest in between circuits; warm up and cool down included.




DAY C




Upper body day starts with cardio and core! This is my second quad of having a cardio + core routine during upper body day and I have to say, I'm quite liking it! It's weird because core is something I don't usually like doing but when it's paired with cardio I think I tolerate it more which means I have more fun with it. This routine is simple, fun, and definitely core burning. It's definitely a more low key core routine than the others I've done before but I think that's why I like it. I like core routines that involve slow moves because I feel the burn more that way and this routine didn't disappoint. The cardio moves are spaced out properly and maintained heat throughout the routine. This one really delivered!



Gotta show the arms and shoulders some love too so here's a 15 minute burnout routine for this day. I can't let an upper body day go by without using weights and this one was the perfect routine to do. I didn't think a 15 minute routine was enough but damn, it was. 50 seconds a move with a pair of heavy free weights? Your arms and shoulders will scream at you. I definitely felt sore a day after I did this routine and it made me feel weirdly fantastic haha!


Workout duration: around 46 minutes, with 1 minute rest in between circuits; warm up and cool down included.



DAY D




I love trying out long yoga routines and since today's yoga day, I decided to try out this power yoga workout that's about 47 minutes. Power yoga workouts are definitely more intense than regular yoga flows but still have that relaxing element in between moves. I also feel like most power yogas are more for intermediate to advanced yogis but no harm in trying, right?

This routine is definitely more doable than other power yoga workouts because the moves are more familiar to me and the ones that are more advanced are few and can be easily modified. This routine made me break a sweat so it's lovely to do if you're looking for a workout that's both relaxing and challenging. Oh, and definitely don't do this if the back of your hand is an achy mess- it's not fun.





CONCLUSION:
Solid lower body days but I definitely have to work on my upper body days because I feel like the core and arm balance isn't great. Great routines, a bit sparse on the cardio department but great on the toning and strength training part.


MY TOP WORKOUT IN THIS QUAD:
Oh, definitely FITNESS BLENDER Shoulders, Back, Chest and Arm Workout! I didn't think this 15 minute routine would do a number on me but it did and the routine wasn't boring and had no repeats. And it made me use weights so yay!


You May Also Like

0 comments