Last Year's Europe Trip: Seville

by - Wednesday, August 26, 2020


 Day ten.




DAY TEN: SEVILLE

(So sorry for the loooooooooong gap between this post and the last! I became busy with something [hint: I'm currently learning a new language!] and obviously that something became my priority. I'm kinda missing blogging, though, so here I am, back again! I'll see how I'll do this alongside my other activity but for now, here's another Pilgrimage post!)

The next place in Spain we went to was probably the one I was most excited about: Seville or Sevilla in Spanish. It is located in the autonomous community of Andalusia and in the southwest of the Iberian peninsula. Not gonna lie, the reason why I was so excited to see Seville was to see one particular place: the Reales Alcázares de Sevilla, aka one of the places featured in Game of Thrones! It's not in the itinerary (boo!) but hey, the fact that I might get to see it still made me excited.

We got dropped off in a beautiful park/plaza(??) that instantly made me love Seville. That park was so green and breezy and beautiful! Pity that I don't know its exact name, though.

After a few moments, our walking tour started. We started at a part of a former Muslim quarter leading up to the cathedral.

The Catedral de Santa María de la Sede is pretty much a real-life looking Hogwarts, only, you know, it's a Catholic cathedral. How impressive is that though!! Like legit, I didn't know whether I'd feel like a princess or a student of witchcraft hahaha (was that a blasphemous thing to say??)!


The Catedral de Santa María de la Sede started as a mosque in 1172 but because of Ferdinand III's conquest, it was converted to a Catholic place of worship. It was then reconstructed in around 1401 to become a proper Gothic cathedral. Apparently, this is the 4th largest cathedral in the world, beating the Hagia Sophia in Istanbul. 

The cathedral houses 80 chapels, two historic organs (Gospel and Epistle), and it is also the burial site of famous historical figures, including Ferdinand III and Christopher Columbus.




This is the burial site of Christopher Columbus:


More sites:



My most fave part is probably the cathedral's courtyard. Such a nice place to be in (with matching majestic views of the cathedral too!).
(I believe this La Giralda, the cathedral's bell tower.)



We were given an hour to explore so while my parents and few other companions rested and refreshed in a cafe (it's Dunkin Donuts.), I started walking and explored.
(The entrance of the Real Alcazar. I really thought I'd be able to go inside but the queue for the tickets was just so darn long! Ugh, bummer. I'll be back for you, I promise!!)


Before going to the next church, I went to a few places in Seville as well.


The Plaza de España.


We next church we went to was the La Basilica de Santa Maria de la Esperanza Macarena. It is where the image of the Virgin of Hope of Macarena is located. We were able to hold mass there as well.


And that's our Seville stop! I feel like I still have a lot to see in Seville (like a whole day at the Real Alcazar) and I can't wait to go back. I recommend visiting Seville during summer because it's just so beautiful! Ahh, fave place in Spain indeed.

Next stop: Lisbon!

You May Also Like

0 comments