A Budget Balm: Detail Cosmetics BB Cream in Beige

by - Monday, July 11, 2022

 


Quick (base) fix.

If you ask me what my current go-to base is right now, I'd say that it's the GRWM Cosmetics Radiance Tint. I love that product's finish, texture, and longevity, as well as its shade range and the fact the 21 Almond is my perfect shade match. I can definitely see myself packing that product for my travels and it the moment I run out- that's how much I love it. Doesn't hurt that it's a local Filipino beauty brand too!

That said, it doesn't mean I won't try out other bases! A girl's gotta have options, you know! So today, I'll be featuring a base from one of my fave local beauty brand and one that I got last year but only opened this year lol. Sorry, backlog is real!!


This is Detail Cosmetics' Beauty Balm or BB Cream is described as an "all-in-one quick fix" that smoothens skin and covers imperfections while still having a natural skin-like finish. It has a light to medium buildable coverage and also has SPF20. 

The BB Cream comes in 6 shades, has 30g of product, and retails for ₱199. (Tip: wait for Detail's sale! I only got mine for ₱100!) 


I find the BB Cream's packaging, a squeeze tube with a pointed tip, sleek and very makeup bag-friendly. It's not bulky and it doesn't have a tube that can shatter.


Among the 6 available shades, the one I got is the shade Beige. To be honest, I had a hard time selecting my shade because there aren't a lot of swatches of this product. Because of that, I had to rely on the shade photo on their Shopee page. I selected Beige because in the photo, it looked kind of neutral toned, like it's more skintone-like in color. However, when I got the product, Beige looks quite different from its online photo.

I don't know if you can see it but on my skin, Beige has a very prominent peach tone. Not gonna lie, I was very worried how it will look like on my olive undertoned skin but thankfully, it didn't end up as peachy as I thought. Since this BB Cream is quite sheer, the peachiness didn't show up that much ALTHOUGH I have to admit, Beige is definitely a shade or two lighter than my actual skintone.


Left side comparisons


So let's talk about its formula, shall we? This BB Cream is quite thin and runny and reminds of Maybelline's Fit Me foundation...but thinner? Because of its texture, I found it really easy to blend out and in all fairness, it does give a skin-like finish. However, I find that it's best to build this BB Cream up little by little because if you apply this thickly on your first layer, it'll look thick and really obvious that you're wearing a base. Thin layers work best and they'll give you a My-Skin-But-Better type of finish.

One more reason why I recommend having a thin layer of this product is because this BB Cream has a really glowy finish. I made the mistake of having a thick layer of it on my face and OMG the glow is just too unbearable, almost bordering on oily topped with a highlighter kinda glow. I prefer my base semi-matte to matte so that amount of glow got me spooked for a minute haha! When I gave it a go again for a second time, making sure my first layer is thin, I got a much better looking base that had a fresh and healthy glow to it.

As usual, I used a damp beauty blender when applying this product. I didn't use a brush because I really don't have the time to deal with brush streaks and stuff although I have a feeling that my Galatea paddle foundation brush will work as well. But you know, just to be on the safe side, use a damp sponge.

Although it kind of dries down, I still set this product to avoid creasing, transferring, and for longevity. I was able to wear this base for a good 4-5 hours and although my face looks oilier that I first started, it still looks good and almost natural, nothing a sheet of blotting paper can't fix. Also, just a reminder that I have normal to dry skin type. The BB Cream is quite liquidy and slippery so if you have more of an oily skintype, make sure to use a primer, and set this base with powder AND setting spray. Oh, and remember to pack blotting sheets! 


BB Cream Beige full face! Although it's quite light on my skin, I like how healthy and glowy my skin looks. As you can see, it wasn't able to fully cover up my imperfections (dark spots, redness, etc.) but it was able to give an even-looking coverage.


I'm not necessarily a BB Cream gal but I gotta say, this BB Cream isn't bad at all. First, it comes in 6 shades and not the usual Light, Medium, "Dark" that other BB Creams have. I know Beige doesn't match my skintone but at least I still have 1 to 2 other options that might match. Second, I like the glowy skin-like finish it has (again, as long as I keep it thin and blended out). Third, it has SPF, and finally, you really can't beat its price- especially when it's on sale!


You May Also Like

0 comments