No Meat Mondays: Pasta with Fresh Herbs, Zucchini, and Tomatoes

by - Monday, April 22, 2019


All the fresh stuff.


Oil-based pastas are one of my favorite things to cook because they're less fussy than tomato and cream-based ones. All you pretty much need is good quality olive oil and you’re pretty much set. One famous oil-based pasta dish is Aglio e Olio where all you need is olive oil, garlic, basil, and a pinch of chili flakes. But if you’re more keen on veggies on your pasta, I’ve got something for ya.

Here I have something that’s big on greens, or should I say, herbs. I’m forever thankful that we have dill and basil planted on our garden because they’re such lifesavers. I don’t know if you’ve noticed but most of the dishes I post for NMM are rich in herbs and that’s pretty much because they’re just there in our garden for the picking. Herbs and oil go really well together so I decided to combine fresh dill and basil together, along with parsley to put on this dish. This is pretty much like Aglio e Olio, only this one’s herb heavy and has two more ingredients: zucchini and tomatoes.

I have to admit that zucchini isn’t a veggie I was familiar with before but now, it’s a favorite. I love how easy it is to cook and add on to dishes to buff them up. Zucchini doesn’t taste much so seasoning it with salt and pepper helps. I like how the zucchini and tomatoes in this dish complement the herbs and oil well. They add freshness to the dish and kind of cuts the greasiness, you know?

This is a great alternative to Aglio e Olio, one that’s as easy to cook but “meatier” in a way. I know it’s not the most heavy protein dish so feel free to add on your protein source, whether it be meat, seafood, or any meat substitute. Feel free to experiment on herb combos for this dish but I personally like mine dill-heavy as it gives a fresh taste. Oh, and don’t forget to be generous with salt and pepper. Trust me, they make a huge difference. Enjoy!



Pasta with Fresh Herbs, Zucchini, and Tomatoes
Yield: 1-2


150-200g pasta of choice
3 tbsp olive oil
3 cloves garlic, chopped
2 medium tomatoes, cubed
1 medium zucchini, cubed
handful of fresh basil leaves (around 12 leaves), cut in strips
handful of fresh dill, roughly chopped
1-2 sprig of curly leaf parsley, roughly chopped
salt & pepper


1. Cook pasta noodles according to package instructions. Drain and set aside.

2. In a pan, heat up olive oil and saute garlic until fragrant. Add in tomatoes and zucchini. Cook until tomatoes turn quite mushy and zucchinis are tender.

3. Add in all herbs and mix well with the veggies.

4. Add in noodles and toss until everything is well combined and noodles are coated with oil.

5. Season generously with salt and pepper. Serve.




You May Also Like

0 comments