No Meat Mondays: Peppered Tofu and Veggies

by - Monday, April 15, 2019


Pepper overload.


For me, there are two proteins you can't go wrong with for your meatless days: chickpeas and tofu. Both are so easy and versatile to cook, not to mention the fact that they're easy to buy and they don't cost an arm and a leg. They can be put on anything from soups to salads and can be baked or fried or crumbled. Any way they're cooked, they'll turn out fantastic. I cook with chickpeas most of the time so I think it's time to take a break for a while and let tofu shine this time.

I like pan frying my tofu most of the time because I gotta admit, it's the easiest to do. As much as possible, I don't coat it with breading. That's just me, though. I prefer just frying plain tofu than coated tofu because admittedly, I have the tendency to overcoat it which results to very crispy but cloying pieces of tofu. Fried plain tofu is good by itself but can be amped up by coating it with a very nice sauce and a bed of veggies on the side. Spiced, preferably, as always.

You all know I love my spices but for today's recipe my usual spices (paprika, cayenne, coriander, cumin, curry powder, chili powder) will be taking a backseat to make room for a spice that's overlooked but will always have a special place in my heart and cupboard: your trusty black pepper. I love freshly cracked black pepper because of its intense flavor and aroma and its ability to spice up anything without giving it tongue-scorching heat. I'd describe black pepper as kind of an earthy spice. It's subtle but creeps up on you. I love it.

So for the tofu's sauce, I went with a nice and easy peppery sauce. Pepper pairs nicely with soy sauce and vinegar so the blend's just a no-brainer. I like that this sauce gave flavor and life to the fried tofu cubes and the veggies. The veggies I used also gave additional crunch and color so the overall dish came out so tasty. It's so easy to do, prepping everything took more time, haha! As always, I paired it with rice because rice and tasty dishes like this is just a match made in heaven (or should I say- in the kitchen?). 

Enjoy!xx



Peppered Tofu and Veggies
(adapted from VeganRicha.com)
Yield: 2


about 320g of tofu, cubed
oil, for frying

1 tsp oil
3-4 cloves garlic, chopped
1-inch knob of ginger, finely chopped
1/2 of red onion, chopped
2 stalks celery, chopped, leaves included
1/2 of red bell pepper, cubed

Pepper Sauce: 
1 tbsp soy sauce (or coconut aminos)
2 tbsp water
1 tbsp maple syrup, or more
1 tsp rice vinegar
1 - 1 1/2 tsp coarsely ground black pepper


1. Pan fry tofu cubes until golden brown. Drain and set aside.

2. In a bowl, combine sauce ingredients. Mix well and set aside.

3. Heat oil in a pan and saute garlic, onion, and ginger until fragrant.

4. Add in celery and red bell pepper. Saute until veggies are heated through and cooked to preference. 

5. Add in prepared sauce. Mix well with the veggies and let heat through.

6. Add in fried tofu cubes and mix until cubes are evenly coated with the sauce.
Serve.

You May Also Like

0 comments