No Meat Mondays: Peppery Couscous with Mushrooms and Celery

by - Monday, April 29, 2019


More black pepper, please.


Okay, I know I've done a number of couscous recipes here in the blog...so here's one more! I'm sorry, I just really love experimenting with couscous, especially when I prefer my meal quick and easy!

Today's couscous recipe is pretty simple and I'd say, earthy. Well, the flavors are anyway. Most of the time, I'd chuck in veggies with couscous but today, I kept it simple- just celery for this one. I decided to add in the earthiest ingredients I know instead: mushrooms, specifically shiitake and wood ear. This turned out well because the mushrooms were really the stars of this dish. I like the combo of the shiitake and wood ear. The shiitake mushrooms have the juicy fleshy/chewy texture and the wood ear has a bitterness aftertaste to it, both a burst of nutty earthiness with chewy textures. These mushrooms aren't just tasty but they're quite nutritious as well. Although shiitake mushrooms aren't high in protein, they are low calorie and low carb, and they're a great source of fiber. Wood ear mushrooms are also low calorie and low carb and they're a great source of B vitamins. Awesome, right?

You know it ain't a dish to me without spice so I just chucked in a basic earthy spice: black pepper. Black pepper offers a simple and subtle heat that pairs well with the mushrooms and celery and just ties the whole dish together. Freshly cracked and coarse is preferred but feel free to use whatever you have on hand. Just don't skimp (but also don't overdo it)!

I used dried mushrooms that I rehydrated in this dish but feel free to experiment with fresh ones or maybe a combination of fresh and dried, or maybe even canned! You can also add in more veggies, but I suggest keeping it green like snow peas, peas, or maybe even green beans- you get the idea. If you like a one-pot meal done in no time, you really can't go wrong with couscous chucked with a bunch of veggies. So good.

Enjoy!


Peppery Couscous with Mushrooms and Celery
Yield: 3

3/4 c uncooked couscous
1 c vegetable stock (or chicken stock)
1 tbsp sesame oil
3 cloves garlic, minced
around 20g dried shiitake mushrooms
around 20g dried woodear mushrooms 
2 stalks of celery, sliced (leaves included)
1 tbsp soy sauce
1/8 - 1/4 tsp salt
1/4 - 1/2 tsp black pepper, coarse or fine


1. Soak dried mushrooms for 15-20 minutes beforehand. When mushrooms are tender, slice to strips.

2. Cook couscous in vegetable stock according to package instructions. Let sit and fluff up after 7-10 minutes. Set aside.

3. In a bowl, mix together soy sauce and 2 tsp sesame oil. Set aside.

4. In a pan, heat up 1 tsp sesame oil and saute garlic until fragrant.

5. Add in mushrooms and saute until heated through and a bit more tender. Add in celery.

6. Remove from heat and add in couscous and soy sauce-sesame oil mix. Season with salt and pepper. Serve.


You May Also Like

0 comments