Shiny Balm: Tarte Quench Lip Rescue in Shell

by - Tuesday, July 30, 2019

.
Dewy tint.

I guess it's pretty safe to say that a girl's first official makeup item is a trusty tube of lip balm. I remember using it because it was "in" and glossy lips looked cool. Time passed and I used it more for chapped lips. There weren't a lot of lip balm options when I was younger, just the plain, tintless ones that may or may not have that minty feel on the lips. Gotta say, lip balms have come a long away since then. Now lip balms have tints, have more enticing flavors/scents, and have all sorts of effects. I just can't help but be amazed and be proud, you know?


Today I have a Tarte Quench Lip Rescue in the shade Shell. Tarte has done a great job in transforming and rebranding the plain lip balm, no? From the colorful and fun packaging to the actual product. It's like a proper grown up balm, I love it.

What exactly is a Quench Lip Rescue? Well, according to the Tarte site, it's a "tinted lip balm that shields & rescues lips from early signs of aging, while delivering intense hydration & soft, subtle color. The antioxidant & vitamin-rich lip quencher is powered by a blend of essential extracts & oils to help restore the softness, moisture & elasticity that escapes lips over time while providing a protective antioxidant barrier against daily aggressors. The tinted everyday formula is vegan friendly & gently melts into skin to smooth over the look of lip lines with a radiant, dewy finish."

The Quench Lip rescue line is part of Tarte's Sea Collection and the one I have here is Shell. Shell is a nice everyday peachy shade that is really sheer. The color won't reflect too much on the lips no matter how many times you layer it on. It's just that: a nice subtle hint of color. I mean, fair enough- it's not exactly sold as a proper lipstick so I understand. 


I think I was sold more on the formula and less on the color payoff. I freaking love how it makes the lips look so shiny! But shiny in a way that's dewy and not in a glittery way, if that makes sense. Because of the dewy effect, it looks more natural on the lips. The product feels slippery, almost watery, on the lips; definitely not sticky at all, unlike, say, a lip gloss. Compared to a traditional lip balm, this feels lighter and less tacky, though I have to admit, it feels less hydrating. But for the high shine it gives, I'm all in for this one.

I won't necessarily use it for really chapped lips because I just know that nothing beats good ol petroleum jelly. However, I will reach for this on times when I want to skip lipsticks but still want something on the lips. It's just so good for everyday and I really like how it looks and feels on the lips. Staying power isn't the best for reapplicaton is a must. Is the full size worth buying? Honestly, probably not. I know for a fact that you can easily buy a proper lip balm for less that $19. But if you have the extra cash and you like to have dewy lips with a hint of tint, then maybe it's worth trying. Really up to you.

If you're looking for a tinted balm that's really tinted, I recommend checking out the Guerlain KissKiss Roselip line (check out my review on the shade Wonder Violette) or the By Terry Hyaluronic Sheer Nude line (wasn't able to review the product but I borrowed the one my sister had and it was great). If you're looking for a lipstick-y kind of balm, check out NARS Sheer Lipsticks (check out my review on the shade Gypsy).

You May Also Like

0 comments