Active Recap: Quad VIII

by - Monday, October 07, 2019



8.


Welcome to Active Recap, where I talk/share/review the workout vids I did for the last four days. Please refer to this post to know a bit more about Active Recap and my workout format and sched.

Love,
S







DAY A




I haven't done a cardio kickboxing routine for a while so I figured I'd do it again for Day A! I'll admit that I wasn't the most eager to do this (I mean, it's cardio. Who's excited to do cardio?) but once the workout started, I knew this was going to be good, mostly because of the head trainer, Eliza. Eliza Shirazi, founder of Kick It by Eliza, was such a delight to watch and listen to. She was very enthusiastic and upbeat and that helped when the workout got tough. Seriously, loved her on this workout.

The workout itself consisted of 10 rounds, with the first round doubling up as a warm up. The second round was a low impact lower body routine that targets the glutes. It involves two moves: squats and curtsy lunges. It might sound easy and simple but when you're doing it for a number of rounds, it won't feel easy and simple anymore. This round legit burns!!

Rounds 3-5 are upper body/arms heavy with a bit of leg work thrown in, as well as a good amount of cardio. There's boxing, jumping jacks, push ups, and more arm exercises in these rounds. Round 5 was a burner.

Round 6 was more cardio + kickboxing. Round 7's got some kickboxing too but paired with my fave move in the entire workout: the patty cake. This was so fun to do because I get to play a grown up version of patty cake, one that involves some punches. This was tiring but I tried not to slack on this move because it was so damn fun. Round 8 was the last round of cardio and Round 9 is core-focused. Round 10 is the cool down.

Overall, this was a pretty solid routine. It has cardio as well as lower body and upper body exercises. The moves were simple and easy to follow, no weird moves that were tricky to do. It had an element of fun too and that's why it was such a great workout, at least for me. Also, warm up and cool down are included too. 10/10 would recommend!



This is a finisher aka more fuel to the glute fire burn you're already feeling. Seriously, I was questioning myself why I chose this as a finisher because my glutes were mad burning at the end of it! Mini band glute routines are my fave because they're guarantee a good glute burn and this routine didn't disappoint. It has a bit of cardio but most exercises were low impact as I guess it also doubles as an active rest routine. This routine + the cardio kickboxing routine = a legit glute burn. No kidding.


Workout duration: around 42 minutes, with 1 minute rest in between circuits; warm up and cool down included.




DAY B




Thought I'd save the longer routine a little later as my glutes are still sore from Day A's circuits. This banded routine targets the arms, shoulders, and chest and a great upper body activator for the next circuit that involves weights. This routine was easy to follow and using a medium band definitely made this routine a little harder. It's also a nice routine to do if you're still getting used to pilates bands.



There's a lot of model channels nowadays and my most fave upload of theirs are workout routines. I like Sanne Vloet's the most but I'm open to other model routines. Here I have Romee Strijd's full body routine that involves mini bands and weights. 

This routine was good: it had a bit of cardio, lower body, upper body, and core exercises. The routine itself was surprisingly tiring, considering most moves were low impact. There were moves that were new to me which I loved. And I love the fact that this routine involves weights and mini bands. Always love an equipment loaded workout.

The video can do some improvements, though. It would be better if it had voice-over instructions. Like, how your posture should be, where you should be feeling it, to keep your core engaged, etc. Sanne Vloet's workout vids have that so I was expecting this video to have it too. I would've loved some coaching and motivation, you know? That addition would make this video 10 times better, just saying.



Workout duration: around 38 minutes, with 1 minute rest in between circuits; warm up and cool down not included.




DAY C




Arm day! Easing in, I chose this no equipment arm routine by Heather Robertson. It's a good warm up for the next circuit. This routine has an arm warm up that could legit pass as part of the workout. Routine was pretty simple, included the classics like push ups, tricep dips, up and down planks, and plank reaches. This will really work your arms and get them more ready for the next routine that's weighted. Oh, and it also includes a quick arm stretch.



Bust out the free weights because they will make this routine so fun. This routine by Fitness Blender is a total body circuit that involves the arms heavily. Each move is weighted and your arms will feel it by the end of the workout. Admittedly, this is a short routine but it is jam packed. You can easily double this up for a 25-minute full body weighted workout and heavy weights are more than welcome. Loved this routine and I'm so glad I did the no equipment arm routine first because that helped a lot with this routine.


Workout duration: around 33 minutes, with 1 minute rest in between circuits; arm warm up and stretch included; full body warm up and cool down not included.




DAY D




Gotta end with the missing routine in this quad: a core routine. Can't neglect this are even if I'm not a big fan of it haha! Also, this is the last intense workout, I promise. This routine is legit a core workout with a bit a cardio in it. I like that there's also modifications should the move/s be too complicated, making them a bit more beginner friendly. This is a no-equipment routine although I do recommend using a mat for this routine.

I wasn't a big fan of this routine (or any core routine for that matter) but that aside, I'd say this was a good one. There were moves that I didn't enjoy doing but did anyway and this routine fired up my core. Not bad for a finisher.



Love a good stretch after that ab workout and this one fits perfectly because it's a core/abdomen-focused routine. I selected this flow because it pairs well with the ab routine but the added gut health aspect of it is a good bonus. This really helped stretch out not only my core but also my legs. Great quick flow overall.


Workout duration: around 38 minutes, with 1 minute rest in between circuits; warm up and cool down included.




CONCLUSION:
I'm just gonna say it: the first two days in this quad are my favorites because that glute burn is just amazing. I'm more usually an arm girl but damn, I love me a good glute burn. So glad I get to use bands and weights on this quad and although there were circuits that I wasn't so keen on, I still enjoyed this quad as a whole. But those first two days are just exquisite.


MY  TOP WORKOUT IN THIS QUAD:
Definitely the POPSUGAR FITNESS 30-Minute No-Equipment Cardio Kickboxing Workout. That was fun and intense and a legit glute burner! Highly recommend!

You May Also Like

0 comments