Active Recap: Quad XIX

by - Monday, December 23, 2019


19.


Welcome to Active Recap, where I talk/share/review the workout vids I did for the last four days. Please refer to this post to know a bit more about Active Recap and my workout format and sched.

Love,
S






DAY A




https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qErmw_CeRIo

Starting this quad off with a 20 minute full body workout without any equipment! What I liked about this workout is that it's mainly low impact but still gets your heart rate up and running. It's a perfect way to open and start your day's workout because the moves slowly eases you in then picks up intensity as it goes by. There's only one plyo move in this workout so make sure you do it! This can easily be done twice through for a 40 minute workout because there are no repeats in this workout so you won't get bored easily. This is also perfect if you're not in the mood for any jumping or skipping haha!



https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=udzyGtd20-8

Today's glute burner is, of course, a banded one! I absolutely love Fitness Blender's 10 minute workouts because they get the job done in a jiffy, plus they do moves that are new and fun. No repeats in this workout so I figured I'd do this twice through for maximum glute burn. This workout didn't just burn my glutes, it also did a great job in making my legs shake! You can definitely turn up the intensity by using a heavy band or even do this with ankle weights instead of bands. Super loved this glute workout as a burnout!


Workout duration: around 44 minutes, with 1 minute rest in between circuits; warm up and cool down not included.





DAY B




https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JvR4wred8OA

Continuing with glute day, I opted for a no equipment pilates routine for today. Pilates may sound zen but it definitely isn't! This routine is a beginner friendly one as it's not that complicated to do. My whole lower body felt the burn, especially my legs and glutes, without making it too exhausted. Think of it as more of a toning routine in a way. If you're doing this on leg day, do this twice through, or even try it with ankle weights! I only did this once since I still have one more routine to do.



https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LghkK1AIK5U

Let the lower body rest and set the upper body on fire! Today I targeted the shoulders, an upper body part I sometimes neglect. This routine requires a light pair of weights and lemme tell you, I only used a pair of 2lbs weights throughout  and my shoulders were screaming bloody murder at me at the end of this routine. The most burning part of this workout is definitely the first half since it's continuous and quite isolated. The second half is much more bearable but it'll still burn your shoulders. You can totally do this without weights. Trust me, it'll still burn. I did this routine twice through.


Workout duration: around 42 minutes, with 1 minute rest in between circuits; warm up and cool down not included.





DAY C



https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_t8fJffsZzk

Arm day! Yesterday, the shoulders were on fire, now the target areas are the biceps, triceps, and a bit of core, and a bit of back. There are 4 groups consisting of two exercises and you do each group for 3 rounds. I recommend using heavy weights at the start then drop set if it gets too hard and your posture gets compromised. This is the type of workout I personally won't do twice through, mainly because I find it too repetitive but you can do it twice through if you don't mind it. Definitely got my upper body worked up and my core really warmed up for the next circuit!



https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Krse4DY_pcs&t=1215s

Let's end this with a nice burning core workout, shall we? This routine requires no equipment, just a mat and the will to power through. Just like the first circuit, this has 4 groups of two exercises done for three rounds. My core got worked up pretty well in this routine and also got my heart rate up because of a few low impact cardio exercises. The first group was definitely the hardest for me mainly because of the bicycles that really got my core and the one liked the most was the second group because I like the plank + reverse crunches combo. Overall a semi-brutal but still doable core routine.


Workout duration: around 43 minutes, with 1 minute rest in between circuits; warm up and cool down not included.





DAY D



https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lr5oEBVUevs

Finishing the other half of the core set! Again, today we go down the pilates route but don't think that this would be easy! I picked this Blogilates routine because it looked quite easy. Spoiler: it's a legit core burner. Who knew this 10 minute routine would make my core shake?! The first moves were definitely the most challenging because it starts with the Hundreds then immediately followed by two crunch routines. Talk about a core burner combo! The next moves after those were a bit of a breather but still gets your core. I did this twice through and that's pretty much the end of my core set!



https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5eY4Au3pwQg

Now it's time to stretch it all out and breathe. This is a gentle yoga flow that will just help stretch every part of the body we've worked in this whole quad. I like that this routine was easy and relaxing and I can totally see this as a refresher you can do in the middle of the day, hell, even at nighttime when it's time to de-stress! Really enjoyed my zen time with this routine.


Workout duration: around 40 minutes, with 1 minute rest in between circuits; warm up not included.





NOTE:
I decided to play up my workout pattern for today because I'm trying to find out what kind of format I like the most. My current go-to format is DAY A + B (lower body days), DAY C (arms/upper body), DAY D (core + yoga). While this format is okay and effective, I felt like Days C and D are a bit of a mess. So I'm playing with a few formats. In this quad, the format is: Full body + Glutes (Day A); Glutes + Upper Body (Day B); Upper Body + Core (Day C); and Core + Full Body Yoga (Day D). Honestly, I felt like this format's a bit imbalanced in a way or maybe I just find it new so I'm still in that adjusting phase. Either way, this same format will be done for Quad XX but I don't think I'll do this kind of format again. On to the next!


MY TOP WORKOUT IN THIS QUAD:
I really enjoyed the glute workouts so much: FITNESS BLENDER Resistance Band Workout for Butt and Thighs and WORKOUT HOTEL Pilates Leg, Butt & Thigh Workout! Long live the glute burners!

You May Also Like

0 comments