Last Year's Europe Trip: Burgos

by - Wednesday, October 28, 2020

Day thirteen - fourteen


 (For other Pilgrimage photos, click here.)


DAY THIRTEEN - FOURTEEN: BURGOS

Straight from Salamanca, we headed to Burgos. Our stay in Burgos was very short that it felt more like a layover more than a proper visit. Still, the stop to Burgos was a very memorable and fun one.

For starters, the hotel we stayed at, Landa Hotel, is an actual looking castle. Not the Disney-type of castle, but more like Winterfell than King's Landing, if you get what I mean. I absolutely freaking loved it! I wasn't able to take photos inside the hotel but here's a look of the entrance (plus, hello, Mom!)

First floor/reception area of Landa. Borrowed pic from Tita Shirley.

Again, I wasn't able to take photos of our room  (thanks, combo of tiredness + being overwhelmed AF) but trust me when I say that it was very Lady-appropriate. It was a blend of medieval meets modern- in short, it was gorgeous, especially if compared to some of the hotel rooms we had before. Also, we were greeted with a basket of fresh walnuts we had no problem devouring!

 

We had dinner and boy did we have DINNER. We were ushered inside a private room where we were immediately served red wine and a appetizer after appetizer. I wasn't able to take photos of the appetizers but there was one I really enjoyed: the morcilla which is basically blood sausage. I mean, eating a blood-based food isn't too weird or exotic for me (hello, dinuguan!) and this one was just chef's kiss. It was very tasty and has this interesting yet enjoyable texture: it was equal parts creamy, crunchy, and dry. Ugh, I miss it so much!!

But I think the main show-stopping food we had at dinner was the lamb. Let me reiterate: the HUGE portions of lamb! I swear, we were already stuffed to the brim with the appetizers that when the lamb portions were brought out, well, let's just say we were beyond overwhelmed.

I got a lamb leg, I believe (or at least I think it's a leg). I only took a photo of this and traded with my Dad with his lamb rack. After all those appetizers, I don't think I can finish that leg! My Dad, on the other hand, was able to finish about 3/4 of it before giving up. 

Here's some photos during dinner!
Fun fact: we were served red wine all night long but since I don't drink anymore, I always swapped my glass with my Dad's every time he finished his. This pretty much went on until the end of dinner. 😂 

After that extravagant and overwhelming dinner, thankfully breakfast was the opposite: simple spread of breads, butter and jams, orange juice, and coffee.

Landa Hotel is a fantastic and gorgeous place that photos can't do justice. You really have to go there and see it in person because up until now, I can't forget how beautiful that place is, including the super friendly staff. It gave me princess and lady feels and honestly, if I cold go back there, I would in a heartbeat!

The same morning, we made a quick stop to the Burgos Cathedral. We just had a few minutes to see it take photos of the exterior and the area. It was not really a part of the trip, just a bonus before heading to Loyola.
 

Santa Iglesia Catedral Basílica Metropolitana de Santa María de Burgos or the Burgos Cathedral was built in 1221 using French Gothic architecture and was consecrated in 1260. It was built using limestone and its design was based on a Latin cross. It is also a UNESCO World Heritage Site.  

More photos of the area while leaving: 

It was such a gorgeous day in Burgos and it was a shame we weren't able to see more of it. Definitely a place I'll glad go back to! But yeah, that's Burgos for now.

Next stop: Loyola!

You May Also Like

0 comments