The Current Brush I Use for Clay Masks

by - Tuesday, October 20, 2020

 


My current once a week tool.

If there's one thing I added to my skincare routine, it's a weekly session of clay masking. I love clay masks because they're like cleansing and pampering the skin at the same time. So far, the Innisfree clay masks I've used up were freaking brilliant and I had a hell of a good time using them too. 

I know some people prefer applying clay masks with their hands but I wanted to apply mine with a brush like, you know, how ~influencers~ would. I initially wanted a simple flat paddle brush but the ones I saw were quite pricey for just applying a face mask. I mean, if I were to buy an expensive brush I probably should use it for actual makeup application, you know? Oh, and I also checked out my stash if I had expendable brushes and apparently, I got rid of them that one time I did a massive cleanout so yeah, I was pretty determined to get myself a "mask brush"

It's funny how things can be sometimes because they appear/happen when you never look for them and that's exactly how I found my current brush. I went to a nearby HBC store to buy a bottle of isopropyl alcohol of all things and that's when I saw this brush just casually hanging around a shelf. I immediately grabbed it and what sealed the deal for me was the fact that it was just Php100! It basically ticked all the boxes: an inexpensive brush I could use for masking and won't make me weep when it gets dirty, frayed, and pretty much just ruined beyond redemption. So yeah, finding this brush was exciting for me.


This is just a plain, unnamed brush from SanSan. Size-wise, it's pretty compact compared to most of my makeup brushes, probably as long as my mobile phone? The handle is pretty much made in plastic in San San's signature light blue color. 


But let's talk about the most important part of a brush: the bristles. Now there's zero info about this brush (the packaging it came in was just a transparent and flimsy piece of plastic) but I'm about 90% that the bristles are synthetic but I gotta hand it to San San, the bristles don't feel scratchy at all. The bristles feel nice- they're soft enough that they don't feel scratchy on the skin but stiff enough that they hold their shape. Surprisingly, the bristles are also quite dense and packed. Totally thought the bristles would be a bit flimsy and would feel "cheap" for its price but it's actually quite decent!


Now: application. I'm gonna start off by saying that I have NOT used this brush for makeup application; this brush is only for clay mask application.
Applying a clay mask using this brush is a mixed bag for me. On a positive note, this made mask application waaaaay easier and cleaner. I can just put a generous amount of product on the brush and apply away. Easy peasy.

On a less positive note, this makes the clay mask hellllla streaky. Like, I get it, clay masks are not at all like liquid foundation that dries and blends with the skin- I get it. I guess it just frustrates me that the brush moves the clay mask around so much, making it streaky and uneven. I think it's not even the brush's fault that clay masks don't set easily, or blend well at all.


The densely-packed bristles can actually be a pain too. Since it's too packed, the bristles don't clean and dry quickly, plus the bristles absorb quite a lot of product and dispenses quite little on the skin. I swear, I put a generous amount of clay mask and end up only covering my forehead and T-zone area. Where does the product go? Oh wait, in the deepest pits of the brush! I swear, the amount of clay mask that gets out of the brush everytime I clean it out is just unbelievable. No wonder my clay masks get used up so quickly.

After all that rambling, is this brush worth it at all? Yes and no. It's worth purchasing if you like a dispensable brush that can give you a mess-free and quick mask application. If you're more worried about waste of product, then this brush may not be a go for you. Personally, I wouldn't mind using it until it gives out but I won't have regrets if it suddenly breaks or shed a whole lot. 

If you have any recos for a clay mask brush (and a nice clay mask as well!), I'm all ears! xx



You May Also Like

0 comments