Last Year's Europe Trip: Lourdes

by - Thursday, December 10, 2020


Days fourteen - sixteen.

(For other Pilgrimage photos, click here.)


DAYS FOURTEEN TO SIXTEEN: LOURDES

We arrived in Lourdes Saturday afternoon, just in time for the procession. Lourdes was filled with so many people, tourists and locals alike! It was chilly but I was glad that it was a chilly sans the rain kind of chilly, you know? I've had enough bone chilling rainy nights, thanks.

Lourdes is a small town in France and the particular area we went to was the Sanctuary of Our Lady of Lourdes, similar setup to the Sanctuary of Our Lady of Fátima- both are shrine complexes. The Sanctuary includes the Grotto of Our Lady of Lourdes, about 22 places of worship, offices of the Lourdes Medical Bureau, and more Lourdes grottos (places that are replicas the Grotto or places that honor the  Lady of Lourdes)

As I said, the first thing we did was participate in a procession. I can't remember which of the two processions but I'm pretty sure it was the Torchlight Procession as I remember praying the rosary and singing Ave Maria while walking.  I wasn't able to take a lot of photos during the procession (personally found it a a bit disrespectful tbh) but here are some I took before plus some photos I grabbed from my dad.



The next day, we had our private mass and our walking tour. The walking tour started in the Basilica of Our Lady of the Immaculate Conception, then the Basilica of Our Lady of the Rosary, then the grounds. Here are the photos I took:
The Basilica of Our Lady of the Immaculate Conception

Interior of the Basilica of Our Lady of the Immaculate Conception

The basilica from the side.

The Basilica of Our Lady of the Immaculate Conception was built between 1862-1871 and was consecrated in 1872. It was designed by Hippolyte Durand using a Neo-Gothic style. This basilica was built on top of the rock above the Grotto.

Interior of the Basilica of Our Lady of the Rosary

The exterior of the Interior of the Basilica of Our Lady of the Rosary's dome

The Basilica of Our Lady of the Rosary was designed by Leopold Hardy with a Byzantine architecture-inspired style. Its construction was completed in 1899 and was consecrated in 1901. As given in its name, this basilica is a celebration and depiction of the Rosary.

Views from the Basilicas:


The Grotto of Massabielle aka the place where St. Bernadette's visions happened and the place where she dug a spring where the waters of Lourdes came from. This spring is unaccessible as it is now protected by a glass cover. I can confirm that the spring is still flowing steadily. Also, you are prohibited to take photos up close (as in the actual well and all) so the only ones you can take is the exterior of the Grotto.



One famous area in the Sanctuary are the baths. If you watch the movie Clouds, you'll have an idea what happens. I wasn't able to try it as the lines and waiting times were very long. But I was able to do a "replica" of my own by filling up large water bottles of Lourdes water (taps are everywhere!) and bathing myself with it while saying a prayer. Trust me, the Lourdes water is miraculous- if you really have faith and believe. If you're a non-believer, then it's pretty much just plain water. (I say this because I've seen and heard people rant that the water is just that -water- and that it didn't cure them at all. I think alongside the water you need to have faith and pray for healing, and not just rely on the water alone.)

Oh, we also toured around the home of Saint Bernadette Soubirous, the girl who experienced the Marian apparitions in Lourdes. I didn't take any photos at all as I wanted to just absorb everything and be less touristy, you know?

After the tour, we had lunch then free time where we were able to walk around the area, checkout souvenir shops, rest, etc.


Also, would I really pass up the opportunity to have yet another cone of ice cream? :P


Day sixteen is pretty much the day we leave. After breakfast, we made our way to the train station to get to our next destination: Paris.
  

Lourdes was a wonderful, sacred, and really blessed place. You can feel it in the air and just by being there, the place makes you feel more faithful and peaceful. It's definitely a place I won't hesitate to visit again.

The tour is coming to an end, with  only two places left: Paris and Lisieux. I'll see you next for Paris Part 1! xx

You May Also Like

0 comments