Today’s Face Ft. Shades of Brown All Over

by - Friday, October 21, 2022

 


Back to neutrals.

Looking a bit more painted than usual today. 

I don't know if you've noticed but my current go-to makeup look is my own spin on the clean makeup look. When I was younger, I was all about eye makeup, from smokey eyes to exaggerated wing liners, and a bold dark lip. But now that I'm a bit older, I now appreciate a "cleaner" look that focuses more on a clean base, a nice blush, a subtle contour, a glowy highlight, a filled in yet bushy brow, and a flattering lip. I rarely do eyeshadow looks anymore and when I'm in the mood, I mostly go for a baby wing and sometimes, even just a half wing. The point is, the makeup look that works for me the most is the clean look, or at least my version of it.

Having said that, yes, sometimes it can get boring. Every time I see beauty influencers and makeup artists on Insta and TikTok, I always get jelly of their eye makeup. Even with the simplest ones, I always think of copying it just because I do miss spending time blending and piling on eyeshadows. And today's look is the outcome of my playtime with eyeshadows again. Although this is more on the basic/safe side since it involves different shades of, yep you guessed it: brown.


My go-to eyeshadow palette of the moment is Detail Cosmetics' Sunset Dream Eyeshadow Palette because it has freaking everything I want and need: mattes, shimmers, neutrals, and colors. I didn't expect it to be my most used palette when I bought it but here we are. For my eye look, I used three shadows in this palette: Dusk to map out my crease, Solar to deepen and warm up my crease, Nostalgia to deepen the outer v. I left the center and inner corners of my eyes to apply a nice shimmery pigment: NYX's Dramatic Chromatic Pigment in Mocha. And that's pretty much for the eyes! I opted to finish the look with mascara and skipped the liner for a softer eye look.


With such a brown-ful eye, I thought a warm or bronzed cheek would complement the look more than a pink or coral blush. I didn't want a full on bronze but I like to add back some warmth so I chose the perfect brown for the cheeks: Colourette's Colourtint in Ocean. Ocean is actually one of my go to cheeks shades because it gives definition and warmth to the face without looking too over the top. Of course the cheeks aren't complete without a little blinding glow so I used my current favorite highlighter: Ellana's Loose Pigment in Inspiration. This is such a nice neutral gold that goes well with any cheek colors but especially brown ones. This pigment can cause quite a mess but you kinda forget all about it once you apply it on the cheeks haha!


As for the lips, I went ahead and used Ocean, just because I felt like it was the right shade and tone to tie this look together. I wanted a little bit more oomph so I went ahead and topped it off with Detail's Jelly Lips for that glossy look. I feel like the overall look lacked dimension and glossing up the lips definitely did the trick.

(For my base and brows, it's all here in my previous Today's Face post.)


This eye makeup is tamer than what I used to do but you know what? I had a lot of fun doing this look! It was fun to paint my lid space with shadows again and this reminded me of a time when all I did was neutrals on my eye haha! This inspired me to get painting on my lids again and that I still have a few shadows and shadow palettes to play with (yes, I did a little decluttering of palettes a year or so ago). I wanna do a colorful eye look next time, and maybe add some liner too. Guess you'll just have to wait and see!


You May Also Like

0 comments