Book Talk: Dash & Lily's Book of Dares

by - Tuesday, May 15, 2012


“I've left some clues for you.
If you want them, turn the page.
If you don’t, put the book back on the shelf, please.”

  Dash & Lily's Book of Dares was a breath of fresh air for me. If you've been reading novels with supernatural beings (you know, vampires/werewolves/witches/Nephilim/immortals) and overflowing romance (which may either be a good thing or a bad thing), then you'll know what I mean. I rarely read "normal" young adult books but I'm glad I read this one because I can't stop thinking and talking about it.


  I love how it's very quirky and intriguing. I love how different the characters are and yet you know that they are made for each other. Their love story, of course, may be very unrealistic and let's face it, may not really happen in real life, but I guess that's what makes the book more interesting. It makes you imagine yourself in their shoes if it did happen to you in real life. I like how light and original this book is; it's not overly dramatic, gives you a good laugh, and makes you feel so bubbly, all at the same time. The story happens at Christmastime but trust me, it doesn't have to be Christmas for it to be a good read.

  Here are my favorite quotes from the book:

"Well sure, who doesn't need a boyfriend? But realistically,  those exotic creatures are hard to come by. At least a quality one."

"I want to believe there is a somebody out there just for me. I want to believe that I exist to be there for that somebody."

"Prayer or not, I want to believe that, despite all evidence to the contrary, it is possible for anyone to find that one special person. That person to spend Christmas with or grow old  with or just take a nice silly walk in Central Park with. Somebody who won't judge another for the prepositions they dangle, or their run-on sentences, and who in turn wouldn't be judged for the snobbery of their language etymology inclinations."

"We believe in the wrong things. That's what frustrates me the most. Not the lack of belief, but the belief in the wrong things. You want meaning? Well, the meanings are out there. We're just so damn good at reading them wrong."

"It is much harder to lie to someone's face. But. It is also much harder to tell the truth to someone's face."

"She was not a needle. This was not a haystack. We were people, and people had ways of finding each other."

"You think fairy tales are only for girls? Here's a hint-ask yourself who wrote them. I assure you, it wasn't just the women. It's the great male fantasy-all it takes is one dance to know that she's the one. All it takes is the sound of her song from the tower, or a look at her sleeping face. And right away you know-this is the girl in your head, sleeping or dancing or singing in front of you. Yes, girls want their princes, but boys want their princesses just as much. And they don't want a very long courtship. They want to know immediately."

"I am not dangerous. Only the stories are dangerous. Only the fictions we create, especially when they become expectations."

"'Game over', you say, and I don't know which I take more exception to-the fact that you say that it's over, or the fact that you say it's a game. It's only over when one of us keeps the notebook for good. It's only a game if there is an absence of meaning. And we've already gone too far for that."

"You really think love needs to have a future?"
"Absolutely."
"Good. So do I."

"The important people in our lives leave imprints. They may stay or go in the physical realm, but they are always there in your heart, because they helped form your heart. There's no getting over that."

"I mean, what if love isn't a yes-or-no question? It's not either you're in love or you're not. I mean, aren't there different levels? And maybe these things, like words and expectations and whatever, don't go on top of love. Maybe it's like a map, and they all have their own place, and then when you see it from the sky-whoa."


  Snap. Crackle. Pop.


You May Also Like

0 comments