How To: Pressing Pigments

by - Tuesday, May 22, 2012

  Admit it, pigments can be a real pain in the butt to work with. It is way messier compared to pressed shadows. Thankfully, there is a way to use pigments without it getting all over the place. If you can't take 'em, press 'em!

  Pressing pigments and repairing broken shadows/blushes/bronzers are basically done the same way. You'll need the same materials and do the same procedure. If you can press pigments, repairing will be easier.


What you'll need:

-Pigments
-Eyeshadow pans (These are actually depotted from an eyeshadow palette. I removed the shadows and cleaned the pans.)
 -Isopropyl alcohol (The highest I can find is 70%. If you know where I can get 90%, let me know!)
-Coffee stirrers (One with a spoon end and one that is just flat.)
- A cough medicine cup
-Tissue paper
-(not pictured) A needle-less syringe or a dropper

Let's start!

1. Carefully open the pigment lid and get a spoonful of pigment. Place it inside the medicine cup.

2. Using the syringe, put a few drops of alcohol and stir with the flat coffee stirrer.

3. This part's the trickiest. It all depends on the consistency of your mixture. If it is crumbly, add more alcohol. If it is too liquidy, add more pigment. Do it bit by bit until your mixture is thick enough to scoop. Work quickly though because alcohol evaporates quickly than water.

4. Transfer the mixture into the eyeshadow pan. Make sure to even out the shadow until it occupies the pan evenly.

5. Leave it to dry. Remember, the higher the percentage of the alcohol you use, the faster it will dry. I let my pigments dry for a day, just to make sure it's really dry and ready to use. The smell of the alcohol is still there but after 2-3 days, it will be very faint.

Also, if you use circle pans like the MAC ones, you can press the shadow after one hour. Layer a piece of tissue on top of the pigment and using a one-peso coin, press the pigment to make sure it stays on place. Since my pans are small, I put a piece of tissue on top and pressed it using the end of my small Urban Decay Primer Potion.

And there you have it! I forgot to take a photo of the dried pigment (teehee) but I pressed more pigments after I was done with pressing this one.
Hope this helped!

You May Also Like

0 comments