Book Talk: The Night Circus

by - Friday, October 19, 2012

Opens at Nightfall
Closes at Dawn

This book is probably the most magical, most enchanting, and most surreal book I've ever read in a long time.

I enjoyed every chapter of the book. I like how it was written. Most of the chapters are about the story itself: how the circus started, the competition between two main characters, the other people involved in the circus, life in the circus. Then there are parts where the reader is involved, parts where you imagine yourself in the circus. The tents you enter, the people you see. In a way, this book is quite interactive. That's one of the reason why it's a must-read.

I love how the romance in this book is pure and not-in-your-face romance. It's quite refreshing to read something like that. How the competitors, Celia and Marco, fall in love with each other. Their moments in this book are very captivating for hopeless romantics like myself. I love how they balance each other, how they complement each other.

I must admit that my favorite part of the book is the circus itself. I'm amazed at how every attraction of the circus is very detailed. From sight to smell to sound to touch. I couldn't help but imagine myself in the circus. I've never read something so detailed it's almost vivid in your mind. It was very charming and very intriguing. I also loved reading the tents Celia and Marco created for each other. From the Ice Garden to the Wishing Tree, everything was so detailed it was magical.

The supporting characters are fun to read as well. From the circus proprietor to the dueling magicians to the contortionist to the twins to the fortune teller to the clock maker- everyone had a role to play. My favorite are the twins, Widget and Poppet. Widget was born before midnight, thus he can see a person's past. Poppet was born after midnight, thus she can see the future. It was a clever idea. I loved Widget's tent, it's very different from the other tents in the circus.

All in all, I think The Night Circus is a gem. Every chapter was filled with magic, you can see everything vividly in your head. If this becomes a movie, I want either Alfonso Cuarón, Terry Gilliam, or Tim Burton to direct it. But sometimes a book is better off as it is.

"Secrets have power," Widget begins. "And that power diminishes when they are shared, so they are best kept and kept well. Sharing secrets, real secrets, important ones, with even one other person, will change them. Writing them down is worse, because who can tell how many eyes might see them inscribed on paper, no matter how careful you might be with it. So it's really best to keep your secrets when you have them, for their own good, as well as yours."

You May Also Like

0 comments