EOTD: One Shadow, Three Looks

by - Monday, April 06, 2015

Hey you, hope you had a wonderful weekend! The last few days were holy for me hence the lack of posts last week but don't worry, everything's back to normal now. Today's a bit different for an EOTD post; as you can see from the title, I've got three looks for you, all involving one particular shadow.

So lemme tell you a bit of back story first- I never really planned on having a three-look type of EOTD. It just so happened that I had little mishaps here and there while working with this shadow and those mishaps made me tweak things here and there that led me to having three looks. I'll tell you more about it on each look so you better be comfortable cause this quite a long post...and a photo heavy one too. ;)
The "star" shadow I used for all three looks is The Body Shop Nature's Minerals Eye Colour in 08 Vivid Amethyst. This one doesn't really get used most of the time mainly because it's one of those shades I'm not sure how to use/approach. Don't get me wrong, I think the color's good; it's like a deep orchid color (it's definitely not vivid, imho) with specks of glitter here and there. It's a nice color, yes, but when used wrong, it's a shade that can make you look like someone punched you in the eye. Also, it's a mineral shadow. It's not exactly the most convenient and cleanest thing to use. But because I wanted something different, I decided to break it out because why the hell not.

I'm gonna give a mini review before proceeding with the looks so bear with me for a while. The shadow does have flecks of glitter so it's very shimmery but not party-on-your-eyelids shimmery. I also find that it tends to fade away easily. I had to pack the shadow several times just so it can show up like a normal eyeshadow. When it fades, glitter gets lefts behind which is a bummer. Again, not a big fan of wearing it as a one-shadow lid wash but I gotta admit, it's a very photogenic shadow.

LOOK ONE: SOMETHING WEARABLE
Look One is something wearable. It's on the dark side so if you're up for something a bit dark yet not so heavy, this look's for you. On the lid is Vivid Amethyst. To ground the look, I used a brown shadow with a hint of red/pink/purple undertone and in my collection, that's Folie. That's pretty much the lid/crease area work. For liner, I used a black gel liner for base then added Blackhearts on top of the base. That last bit is optional. I added Blackhearts to make the liner a little interesting, even if it's barely noticeable. Lastly, added a matte shadow, Kinky, as my brow bone highlight.

The mishap: The mishap wasn't really with Vivid Amethyst; it was with the camera! While I was shooting photos of this look, I keep getting one blurry photo after another. It almost made me quit and restart everything! After viewing the photos on the laptop, I found some photos I can salvage so yay!

LOOK TWO: AMPED UP
Look Two is a darker, heavier twist of Look One. All I did was smoke out my lower lashline and add a second wing. For the lower lashline, I started lining both my lashline and waterline with a black liner then smudge it out a bit. I then added Blackhearts to smoke the lashline some more then added a wing afterwards. Easy peasy! Double the wing, the fun (and punk!).

LOOK THREE: WILD CHILD
So this one's something different. And totally not for everyday use to lol. I should name this WILD CHILD / ARTSY SCHMARTSY because it's me trying to be artsy lol. Lid work is Vivid Amethyst as base + Rockstar on the middle part of the lid. I also have Vivid Amethyst on my lower lashline for a simple smokey look. As usual, my brow bone highlight is Kinky. For the lines, I believe I used two gel liners: MAC Blacktrack and essence Berlin Rocks.

The mishap: This look all started with a peg on mind: A simple purple smokey eye with a purple pop in the middle. I was able to achieve that except one thing happened: there was a line of shadow on my outer crease that didn't want to blend AT. ALL. I used several brushes to buff it out but nada. It was very obvious on photos! So I took a deep breath and channeled my inner Linda Hallberg and went crazy with my gel liners and angled brushes. And yes, it did cover that hideous unblendable shadow! Gotta admit, "destroying" my look was quite exciting! I wanna do it again!! :D

And that's it! I know I used the shadow on one place on the three looks but then again this post was unplanned. I just wanted one EOTD to post but I accidentally ended up with three but I ain't complaining! I think I'll make more of these one shadow, three looks posts in the future and hopefully the next posts will be more organized and planned. Thanks for reading!

You May Also Like

0 comments