Two Thumbs Up: Avocado on Toast

by - Monday, May 04, 2015

I'm going to open this blog post by saying that I'm not a big fan of avocado. Growing up, the only thing with avocado my mom made was avocado "ice cream", made with three ingredients: mashed avocados, milk, and sugar. It'll then be put in the freezer for several hours until it sets. It's good but it's something I'd pass up if I had a choice.

Fast forward to now, avocados are pretty much the big thing. I mean, it's everywhere! Vegans love it, people with gluten allergy adore it, people on diets have it 24/7...not gonna lie, it baffled me. Why are people suddenly so obsessed with it?? So now that I'm a bit older and more open to anything food related, I decided to give avocados a try. Not as an ingredient for homemade ice cream but an ingredient for something savory and room temp.

One of the avocado-incorporated food that's really popular is avocado on toast. At first I was like "WTF THIS DOESN'T MAKE SENSE ASDFGHJKL".  I mean, fruit on toast? What? I first saw it on a blog then I saw it on Youtube then it's everywhere. So I decided to cave in and gave it a try. I mean, it can't be that bad, right?


The verdict: YOU GOTTA TRY THIS ASAP. Oh my freaking gosh, now I know what I've been missing all this time! Now I understand the hype. It's such a simple thing to do yet it's so tasty! The base recipe I used for mine was something I saw in a FleurDeForce video so if you wanna make some fo yo self, check the vid out. The difference between mine and Fleur's is that mine doesn't have tomatoes. Wasn't really feeling tomatoes on mine so yep.

Anyway, if you're too lazy to watch the vid, here's the recipe aka what I put on mine:

Yield: 2

1 avocado
drizzle of extra virgin olive oil *
6 fresh basil leaves (3 on each toast)
1/4 of a lemon
salt
pepper

-toast bread the drizzle with olive oil
-rub the leaves on the toast. It'll create something of a basil infused olive oil effect.
-scatter the avocado slices
-drizzle lemon juice
-salt + pepper

*it's vital to have extra virgin olive oil. Trust me, EVOO makes a big difference.


YOU'RE WELCOME.


BRB, MAKING SOME MORE.

You May Also Like

0 comments