Lip Talk: L.A. Colors Lipstick in Eggplant

by - Tuesday, October 20, 2015

This month's just the perfect time to sport dark lippies, no?

I finally saw the right time to open a lippie I bought a couple months back. Because it's a dark shade, I can't exactly wear it on sunny months now, can I? This month's perfect because it's Halloween month and anything dark, weird, and unconventional is perfectly acceptable. So that's what I'm doing. Wearing and reviewing something dark that brings out my inner goth (and dark lippie-loving self.)


Here I have the L.A. Colors Lipstick in Eggplant. I got this in a pop-up Smoochiezz store in Singapore. It was pretty cheap, around $3.90/99 for a 3.2g tube. Eggplant is a deep Tyrian Purple shade, a dark purple shade with a red undertone. Dunno why they named this lippie Eggplant when the shade's quite far from the color of an eggplant. :)) 


This lippie is quite creamy, almost like a lip balm. Unfortunately, the color payoff isn't that great. You can see from the swatch above that it's quite sheer and uneven. It doesn't give that one swipe opaqueness. On the lips, it feels light and doesn't really dry them out. But because it has a lip balm-like consistency, it could move around your lips, causing the coverage to be uneven and patchy.


This lippie's not longwearing too. Once your lips get in contact with anything, and I mean anything, the product would just come off. I noticed that the product wears off easily, especially on the middle of my lower lip. Actually, the lipstick's even on my top lip but I encounter unevenness once I apply it on my lower lip. Product just moves on that area which makes me reapply every now and then. 

I tried wearing it on top of a dark lipliner and here's what it looked like:
With lipliner, the lipstick felt a bit more solid, like a lipstick that doesn't glide everywhere. Unfortunately, even the lipliner wasn't able to help with the unevenness. Shame.

Overall, I say give this lippie a pass. If you can shell out a few bucks more for a better dark lippie, then go for it. But if you're on a budget and you're looking for a Halloween-appropriate lipstick you know you won't use afterwards, then I say get this. I won't be wearing this out but I think I can mix it with a more opaque lipstick to create a new shade. I mixed Eggplant with essence Natural Beauty and I got this muted orchid/mauve shade that I absolutely adore. Guess you know what I'll be doing in the next few days, huh? ;)

You May Also Like

0 comments