Black Polish Substitutes

by - Thursday, October 22, 2015


I used to be obsessed with black polish. It was a staple during my teen years and I loved wearing it because it gave me a badass/punk-rock kind of vibe. As I got into nail polishes more and as I grew older, my love for black polish decreased. There was a time when I wore black polish and I got quite sad as it looked so flat, boring, and ordinary. That's basically how I got into loving (and hoarding) polishes with dark hues as they're dark enough to be cool but not too dark that they're flat and boring.

Most of my polishes now are dark shades of different colors. Here are the polishes I love wearing when I like something dark on my nails. All of them were already featured here in my blog but since it's Halloween season, I thought of rounding them up in case you want something other than black on your nails- or if you're looking for dark polishes to add to your stash!


First polish is from essence cosmetics called Someone Like You. It's a lovely chocolate color with no shimmers whatsoever. It's such a nice polish to wear because it looks really dark on the nails but reveals this lovely brown hue when light hits it. Two coats is enough and the color goes with everything.

If green's your thing, then The Face Shop's GR503 is for you. It's this gorgeous forest/snake green that makes you feel like this badass human/reptile lovechild. It's not a usual color for everyday wear but it's nice to wear every now and then. This is really good for Halloween, especially if you're dressing up as an evil forest nymph, earth deity, reptile queen, or...I don't know, Poison Ivy? ;)

My most favorite purple polish is PP402 from The Face Shop. Such a rich aubergine color! I like that it has subtle shimmers to it which makes this polish a little reflective and sparkly. If you're tanned like me and wants their hands to look a bit lighter, this polish gets the job done. If I were a wicked witch, this is the polish I'd definitely wear.

This polish started it all, I guess. The first dark polish that made me buy more dark polishes and the first Sally Hansen polish in my collection. Flirt is a lovely burgundy polish with pink shimmers so it's quite interesting to look at. I don't use it that much anymore since I got tons of new polishes to wear but it will always have a special place in my heart...and stash!

The NARS Sharplines Right is my ultimate favorite dark polish in my collection. It's part of the Pierre Hardy Sharplines Duo and it made my 2014 Christmas extra special. Sharplines Right is kind of the more high-end version of Flirt. Both are burgundy but this one's darker and has no shimmer. It looks a bit jelly-ish on the nails and the formula's fantastic. If you can still find the Sharplines Duo, get it, even if it's just for this polish because it's so darn good and gorgeous.

Last but not least is Here's My Number from essence cosmetics. It was the latest polish I reviewed and I thought it fit here perfectly. Here's My Number is for those who like 'em glittery and textured. The base color of this polish is a gunmetal gray and it has a sh-t-ton of glitters that will make you look at your nails all day. It's a pain to remove but hey, the several days of wear made it all worth it!


You May Also Like

0 comments