Plummy Pink: NYX Extra Creamy Round Lipstick in Hope

by - Wednesday, December 19, 2018


Creamy and pretty.

It’s no secret that I love lipsticks. They’re my go-to and most used makeup products and I just love wearing them even just around the house. I like how lipsticks can make you look put together with minimal effort. Seriously, lipsticks and tinted eyebrow gels are my saviors, especially when I don’t have much time to faff around. Brows and lips, guys, brows and lips. (Okay, and maybe a liiiiitle bit of highlighter can't hurt.)

I’ve been playing with lipsticks for a while now so I know which shades I like most. First off, I don’t like nude lipsticks. They make me look sick and washed out and I don’t like that. I also don’t like too orange-y/corally shades because for some reason, they just make me look darker and a bit ashier. I’m quite fine with my level of tan, thank you very much, and I honestly don't need the ashy bit to be mre pronounced. With pinks and reds, there are shades that suit me and those that don’t. I find that mauvey and taupey pinks are great and my absolute favorite, and dark, rich reds are the way to go. One undertone I absolutely love: plum. Give me anything that’s plummy and I will eat it up, no joke. Must be because I’m older now so I want something bold but muted? Hmm.

Anyway, since we’re talking about plums, here’s yet another plum lipstick to add to the roster. And it’s daaaaaamn purrrrtttyyy.


NYX Round Lipstick in Hope is a lipstick shade that's right up my alley.  According to the NYX site, Hope is a plum-red but I see it as a nice warm plummy rose that kind of reminds me of Palladio's Boucle, only Hope is warmer in comparison. I feel like this color can complement a wide range of skintones, so anyone can pull it off.

Coverage is insane. It's opaque with just one swipe, I adore! I like how it just covers up the dark edges of my lips with ease with just. one. swipe. For a drugstore lippie, this isn't so bad at all! Super impressed, tbh. Also, the creaminess and that shine- so unreal.

Hope is part of NYX’s Extra Creamy Round Lipstick line so it’s no surprise that its formula is very creamy and velvety. Its creaminess is one that’s a bit thick, unlike other formulas that feel slick and slippery (like the NARS Gypsy for example). The lipstick doesn’t feel heavy on the lips, though, and I experienced no tugging or skipping upon application. It doesn’t really dry down so it will smudge and transfer, and even possibly feather out, so retouching and even a lip liner beforehand is a must. Also, it’s one of those lipsticks that will transfer to your teeth when you apply it too thickly and too near the insides of your lips. I find that blotting and reapplying can help with this problem, and also a controlled application with a lip brush. 


One thing I like about this shade is that when it fades or if you blot it out, it’s one that leaves a nice stain on the lips. It looks like you’re just wearing a tinted lip balm, minus the shine. Because the lipstick is really creamy, it can be prone to breaking. It broke on me, actually, so I had to do some damage control by chucking it in in the fridge. I’d still wear the hell out of this lipstick, though, cause it’s cute but also screams girlboss at the same time. I love it. It’s also a perfect substitute to a proper red lipstick, or any bold lipstick really, if you’re one who’s not comfortable or used to wearing one. It’s a nice shade to use as training wheels, so to speak.

You May Also Like

0 comments