Bake & Munch: Corn Muffins

by - Sunday, January 06, 2019



Corn muffs.

Happy first Sunday of 2019! Hope you're having a great day. :)

I feel like anyone who likes to bake should know at least one good corn muffin recipe. I mean, corn muffins are so easy to make they’re practically noob-friendly. What I like about corn muffins are they’re so yummy on they’re own or as a side. I personally love them as a snack but I know some people love eating them with a protein, specifically chicken, ala cornbread. I also prefer them on the sweet side and that’s exactly what I’ll be sharing with you today.

There are two kinds of corn muffins that will always be memorable to me: my Mom’s (of course) and Kenny Roger’s Roasters’. Mom’s muffins have this homemade, fuss-free, made from scratch feel while KRR’s feels a bit restaurant-y, making it a bit of a special treat. Both good, both filled with fun memories, and both really freaking delicious.

I don’t have a signature corn muffin recipe yet but I made sure I have a few recipes I can play around with. I can go the sweet route or the savory route but for now, I’ll go the sweet route, perfect for tea time or snack time (which is between 7 am to 10 pm, as far as I’m concerned).


These muffins are quite dense but surprisingly still creamy. I love the addition of cornmeal although I’d probably add more next time for added grit (I love the grittiness cornmeal gives hehe). For the corn kernels, you can go crazy (but not too crazy) with the amount. I put in a cup of kernels but you can add an additional ¼  - ½ cup to amp up the corn flavor.  The corny-er the better, right? :P


CORN MUFFINS
(adapted from Pepper.ph)
Yield: 15 muffins or about 30 mini muffins

1/2 c unsalted butter, softened
1/2 c granulated sugar
1/3 c honey
2 eggs, room temp
3/4 c milk
1 c cornmeal 
1 1/4 c all purpose flour, sifted before measured
1/2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt (cut in half if using salted butter or butter compound)
1 can corn kernels, drained


1. Preheat oven to 350F. Line muffin pan/s with cupcake liners.

2. Whisk together flour, baking powder, cornmeal, and salt in a bowl. Set aside.

3. In another bowl, cream together butter and sugar.

4. Add in eggs and honey and beat until just combined.

5. Put half of flour mix and half of milk onto the butter-sugar bowl. Mix until just combined. Add in other half of flour and milk then mix one last time.

6. Transfer batter into prepared muffin pan/s and bake for 25-28 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean.

7. Let cool before serving.


You May Also Like

0 comments