No Meat Mondays: Chunky Tomato, Corn, and Chickpea Curry

by - Monday, January 28, 2019


Creamy chunky spicy goodness.

I love making curries. There's just something about making them that feels relaxing and comforting to me. Must be because of all the prep or maybe because of the spices but one thing's for sure: curries are the BOMB, especially for no meat days because not only are they hearty, they're also very filling.


Curries are my fave because they have the things I want in my food: spice and cream. I love creamy dishes and with added heat and spice? Yeah, count me in. Also, can I just throw in my two cents about them? Contrary to popular belief, with curries, you have the power to adjust the spice level. Just because it's a curry doesn't mean it has to be blow-your-head-off spicy, you know? I personally don't like putting fresh or dried chilies because I prefer to rely heavily on spices like cumin, garam masala, and paprika instead. Yes, curries need to be spicy but it should be tailored to your liking, you know?

Anyway, with today's recipe, I have something very hearty and chunky. It's my first time to make a curry that has both coconut cream and tomato chunks and turns out, that combo is just mind-blowing. It has that "who says you can't have it all?" vibe, you know? The combination makes the dish creamy and tangy, perfect with the spices added in. And the addition of corn gives a sweet contrast to the dish too. Pair this with a cup of rice and man, you are good to go! Seriously, I can't get enough. (PS. Please send help!!) 


Enjoy! x



Chunky Tomato, Corn, and Chickpea Curry
(adapted from Connoisseurusveg.com)
Yield: 3-4

1 tbsp oil
half of a medium red onion, diced
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 tbsp freshly grated ginger
1/2 tsp cumin seeds
1 can (225g) chickpeas, drained, rinsed, skins removed
215g (around 1/2 c + 2 tbsp) canned or frozen corn kernels
200g (half of a 400g can) diced tomatoes
200ml coconut cream (or milk if you want a thinner consistency)
2 tsp garam masala
1/4 tsp turmeric
1/8 tsp cayenne (or more for heat)
1/2 tsp salt
1/4 - 1/2 tsp black pepper


1. Heat oil in a pan and saute onions.

2. Add in cumin seeds and let toast with onions for about a minute.

3. Add in garlic and ginger. Saute until fragrant.

4. Stir in chickpeas and corn kernels and let them heat through.

5. Add in diced tomatoes, coconut cream (or milk), garam masala, turmeric, and cayenne. Season with salt and pepper. With the back of spoon, slightly crush the big chunks of tomatoes.

6. Bring to a boil and simmer until curry has slightly thickened.

7. Immediately serve with rice or naan.

You May Also Like

0 comments