No Meat Mondays: Pasta in Buttery Tomato Sauce & Toasted Breadcrumbs

by - Monday, May 27, 2019


Because butter makes everything taste better.


Hey hey hey! I've been missing some of my fave carbs (read: noodles) and it's been a while since I posted a pasta recipe so here it is! 

I have a soft spot for tomato-based sauces. Growing up, I'd always go for the cream/milk-based ones but now, I'm all about that red sauce. Sometimes I like it tarte, sometimes I like it sweet, but always spicy- well, at least with a bit of a kick anyway. What I like about the red sauce is that it's not always limited to pasta. I got this trick from my mom: got some spaghetti sauce leftover? Put it on some bread slices, sprinkle some grated cheese and tada! Instant pizza. Genius. I'd sometimes put it on rice too- my own lazy version of a “baked" rice dish.

Guess I’ve always loved the versatility of a red sauce too so it’s important to have a fool-proof blend. I LOVE the arrabbiata sauce I shared here on the blog because it’s spicy and tarte and herby and just pairs well with any carb of choice. I will always love my mom’s spaghetti sauce; it’s a no-brainer at this point. A red sauce for me should be garlicky, spicy, tarte, and most of all: tasty.

I’m sharing this recipe I came across because it’s something I haven’t had before. No, it doesn’t involve complex, weird ingredients; no, the ingredients in this sauce is so common, I just didn’t think about putting them together. That’s why I’m so amazed this sauce. You know what the key ingredient in this sauce (aside from the tomato sauce, duh) is? BUTTER. Good ole reliable butter.

Like, I never thought of putting butter and tomato sauce together. Butter and cream/milk, definitely, but not tomato sauce. I guess I’ve always been used to the usual olive oil + tomato sauce combo that adding butter to the sauce never crossed my mind. I’m sure glad someone thought of combining the two together because daaaamn, it’s tasty AF. Butter just adds a whole other dimension to the sauce that doesn’t overpower the tomatoes. It’s like an undertone, in a way; you can taste it but it’s not the only thing you can taste. Butter makes the sauce rich but not cloying. When Mom tasted the sauce (I didn’t tell her I put butter), she thought I used bacon fat. Think about that.

I tweaked the sauce a bit because the original recipe didn’t have any herbs or spice. I used a common combo: basil and oregano, and next time I do this dish, I’ll probably experiment with Italian seasoning. For spice, I used my trusty red chili flakes, though you could also use hot sauce, I suppose, or cayenne. I made sure I didn’t go heavy-handed on the spice and herbs so that I can taste and enjoy the butter-tomato combo.

I also got intrigued with the breadcrumb topping. Usually, you’ll top you pasta with cheese but I find toasted breadcrumbs a good alternative. I like the crunch it gave! Plus, it also has some salt in it, so it’s like putting in cheese in a way, and since it also has oregano in it, it also upped the herb flavor. I dig it!

So if you like to indulge on some buttery pasta sauce, here’s something to try. I probably won’t make this my default red sauce (I mean as much as it’s rich and tasty, it’s RICH) but it’s a nice recipe to have in case I like something different. Oh, butter, you’re always such a ray of sunshine.



Pasta in Buttery Tomato Sauce & Toasted Breadcrumbs
(adapted from BudgetBytes.com)
Yield: 2

Toasted Breadcrumbs:
1 tbsp olive oil
1/4 c breadcrumbs (like Panko)
1/8 - 1/4 tsp salt (adjust according to preference)
1/4 tsp dried oregano
1/8 tsp crushed red pepper flakes
a pinch of black pepper

Buttery Tomato Sauce:
2-3 tbsp salted butter
3 cloves garlic, minced
half of a 28oz can of whole peeled tomatoes
1/4 tsp salt
generous pinch of black pepper
1/4 tsp dried oregano
1/4 tsp dried basil

150-200g pasta of choice


Cook pasta noodles according to package instructions. Drain, but save some pasta water, and set aside.

For the toasted breadcrumbs: Heat oil in a pan and add in all ingredients. Cook until breadcrumbs turn to a deep golden color. Set aside.

For the buttery tomato sauce:
1. In a pan, saute garlic with butter until fragrant. 

2. Add in whole peeled tomatoes and black pepper. Break tomatoes up so it's more chunky than whole. Let simmer. Add in regular or pasta water if sauce becomes too thick.

3. Add in herbs and salt. Stir and let it simmer for the final time, around 1-2 minutes.

4. Mix in pasta or top it off with the sauce. Sprinkle breadcrumbs on top. Serve.



You May Also Like

0 comments