Java Jabber: Dark but Not Too French

by - Sunday, August 15, 2021


 

Dark's where it's at.


Bigain Hill's French Roast Kofi Bags made me realize that I absolutely love this type of roast when it comes to cold brew. It just makes the coffee itself more tasty and interesting! A good French Roast should taste somewhat like a smoky-sweet taste, kind of like dark caramel in a way. Gotta say, Bigain Hill's French Roast is a winner because their roast is just *chef's kiss*. 

Because of that, I thought I'd try another shop's French Roast, a little break from my usual single origin beans, if you will. For this month's Java Jabber, I'll be reviewing The Brewery Coffee's French Roast coffee beans.


The Brewery Coffee's French Roast is a dark roast blend of robusta and excelsa beans. I can't find the origin of the beans, only that they're grown by local farmers. #SupportLocal always.

Since this is a dark roast, the coffee produced by these beans is full-bodied with that right amount of bitterness that can't be overpowered by milk and sugar. When taken black, I can definitely taste the acidity but at least the coffee itself didn't taste burnt. Personally, I find it smooth, full-bodied, and has that right amount of dark roast I look for in a coffee. Plus, the beans and the coffee both smell soooo good! Absolutely love it whenever I grind and brew the beans because it makes the house smell like a coffee shop.

Though this coffee is great for being a dark roast, I feel like I can't fully taste the French Roast flavor. With Bigain Hill, the roast is just so prominent that I can taste it fully in my cold brew. This one lacks that French Roast punch which is a bummer because the coffee tastes and smells freaking great. 

Overall, great dark roast coffee I just don't fully taste the French Roast. Price-wise, it's more on the affordable range (Php140 for a bag of 250ml? Yes, please! Although, fine, there's an additional Php40 for shipping but the total's still under Php200 which makes it still on the more affordable side) so not bad at all. Will I repurchase again, though? Probably not but I don't regret trying it.

On to the next!

You May Also Like

0 comments