Bake & Munch: Eggless Cake Bread (Guess the Substitute!)

by - Sunday, August 01, 2021


 

Hint: it's a fruit!

I have quite a number of Bake and Munch recipes here on the blog and what is their common ingredient aside from flour, baking powder, butter, and salt? Eggs. In all things I bake, eggs are always present because 1). I'm not allergic to them; 2). I'm not in a diet that prevents me from eating them; and 3). Because they just complete the whole dish, you know? I grew up seeing my mom add eggs in almost every baked good she makes so for me, eggs are common and fundamental in baking. Also, I just have no idea how to substitute it with another ingredient without messing up the recipe so there's that. 

I came across an eggless loaf recipe one day and when I saw that the ingredients were easy to find and the recipe itself was pretty much straightforward to make, I knew I had to try it. The secret ingredient: mango! At first I thought the mangoes were just to add flavor to the bread (like the strawberries in the strawberry bread I made before) but turns out, they're also there to take the place of eggs. So how was it? 

Surprisingly, it made the loaf lusciously bright yellow, just like eggs would. The loaf itself has that creaminess of a quick cake bread but it's denser in a way. It's perfect with some jam or marmalade or even on its own. I quite liked it! The only downfall is that my loaf didn't have that pronounced mango flavor. Maybe the mangoes I used weren't sweet enough and that's why my loaf didn't taste too much like mangoes or maybe I needed more mango puree in my batter. At first, I was a bit disappointed by the end result but when I read the blog post of this recipe again, I realized that: 1). I used Philippine mangoes while the author of the recipe used Mallika mangoes; and 2). in my loaf, the mangoes functioned more as eggs substitutes than a flavoring. Eggs are pretty much undetectable once they're mixed with other ingredients but they impart creaminess, brightness, and richness to a baked good. And I think my mangoes worked the same way. Faint in flavor but gives a creamy, moist taste and texture to a vibrant colored loaf. And with that thinking, I'd say in the end, not too shabby for my first time baking sans eggs!

Enjoy!



EGGLESS CAKE BREAD

(adapted from CookingFromHeart.com)


1 1/2 cup all purpose flour, sifted then measured

1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder

1/4 teaspoon baking soda

a pinch of salt

1/3 cup melted butter (I used salted)

3/4 cup granulated sugar

1/4 cup milk

1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract

3/4 cup pureed fresh mango


1. Preheat oven to 350F and line a 9x5" loaf pan.

2. In a bowl, combine all purpose flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt. Mix and set aside.

3. In another bowl, beat butter and sugar until light and fluffy.

4. Add in pureed mango, vanilla extract, and milk. Mix until well combined.

5. Make a well in the center of the dry mix and pour in wet mix. Fold wet mix into the dry mix until just combined. Don't overmix.

6. Transfer batter into prepared loaf pan and bake for 30-35 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.

7. Let cool for 5-10 minutes before transferring to a rack or serving. Enjoy on its own or with jam or marmalade on the side. 


You May Also Like

0 comments