Budget Blender: STAGENIUS Cute Blender Makeup Sponge

by - Thursday, January 26, 2023

 


Fresh outta the bag.

My first order of business this 2023? Start the new year with a brand new makeup sponge. My trusty Focallure Match Max sponge is on its last legs and while my O.TWO.O Microfiber Fluff sponge is still good, I usually reserve it for sheer coverage bases. I need a sponge for everyday, a replacement for the Match Max. I have a few unopened sponges in my beauty stash and I picked this one from Stagenius!


Stagenius is a brand under Focallure and this is their Cute Blender sponge. It is made out of a non-latex material that expands when comes in contact with water and one that doesn't easily crack or get deformed. This sponge can be used with both liquid and powder products.

The Cute Blender comes in three shapes: Waterdrop, One Cut Heart, and the one that I have, a skintone One Cut Olive. One Cut Olive has a "blended" shape where it has an angled flat side and a pointed bottom. I went for this shape because it reminded me of my AOA sponge that I really loved (RIP). 



They weren't kidding when they said this sponge expands! I LOVE how humongous it is when damp!


Compared to the Match Max sponge, the Cute Blender feels denser- which I like because it feels sturdier! The Match Max is more of a soft sponge so it tends to get easily ripped by my nails when I use or clean it. Cute Blender feels tougher, something that won't easily tear so I think this would last longer than the Match Max.

Compared to the Microfiber Fluff, Cute Blender is a bit more absorbent and bouncier. The Mircofiber is perfect for sheer coverage bases because it's dense and don't absorb much product. However, it also tends to feel drier on the skin as it seems like the Microfiber tends to distribute or spread the product rather than really work it into the skin. The Cute Blender, however, is more forgiving and workable. It tends to absorb more water than the Mircrofiber Fluff which makes it softer and better when blending out a base. The Cute Blender also doesn't seem to absorb a lot of product in it but it does work in the base into the skin, making your base look more skin-like. So yes, between the Microfiber and the Cute Blender, I prefer the latter, no questions asked.


As for its shape, I tend to use the upper half more. I absolutely love the angled flat side because it just blends my base seamlessly and quickly. Flipping that, I use the rounded pointed tip to blend out my concealer on my undereyes and sides of the nose. I also use that side to blend out my cream or liquid contour/brontour. 

I personally don't use the bottom half of this sponge except when I need a clean area of my sponge to further blend out any liquid or cream products on my face. I once tried it for  blending out my contour but I think I still prefer the upper half's pointed side.


One thing I'd also like to add is that this sponge is a dream to clean. I've had sponges before where I really had to rub them to remove stains and products from them but the Cute Blender doesn't need aggressive cleaning. It just needs some water and soap, a little rubbing here and there, and that's pretty much it! Pretty convenient, if you ask me!

Overall, I like this sponge! It's like the combination of the Match Max and the Microfiber Fluff- soft enough to blend out product but dense enough to withstand tears and friction. This is definitely a good buy and I would buy it again- maybe even in a different shape!

You May Also Like

0 comments