Lightweight Velvet: GRWM Cosmetics Powder Rush Velvet Setting Powder in Nutmeg

by - Tuesday, September 19, 2023

 


New pressed powder in my stash!

    I feel like it's been a while since I purchased a pressed powder. The last one I got was Detail Cosmetics' Mineral Pressed Powder Foundation and that was sometime last year. All powders I bought after that was loose ones and while I love using those to set my makeup, I felt like I needed a powder that's less messy, more transport-friendly, and most importantly, something less yellow-toned.

    Last month, GRWM had really good deals on the orange app, including one product I've been eyeing for a few months now. I was in a spending mood since my birthday was around the corner so I just checked out said product. I've been using it since and here are my thoughts!


    The product I got was GRWM's Powder Rush Velvet Setting Powder, deemed as a velvet setting powder that's skin-blurring, oil-controlling, and long-wearing. This powder has a light to medium coverage that can be used on its own or to set your base makeup.

    Its key ingredients include squalene, kaolin, calamine, and Vitamin E and can be used for all skin types.

Powder Rush is cruelty-free and vegan and retails for ₱549 (but I only got mine for ₱349!).


    Before I get to the other aspects, let's talk about its packaging first, shall we? I like that the container, color-wise, looks simple but chic. Inside, it has a flap/lid that contains the puff and the bottom part contains the powder and the mirror. 

I like the overall look of this powder but I do have to say that this product is a little bulky chunky. It's quite thick and wide, at least when compared to other compact/pressed powders. I mean, I like that I can see it immediately when I throw it inside my bag but it will take some space in purses or clutches.  


    The Powder Rush Velvet line comes in 11 shades, ranging from light to deep skin tones with varying undertones. I actually had a hard time choosing among the medium shades but I ultimately went with Nutmeg, a medium beige with a neutral undertone.

    Nutmeg I'd say is pretty close to my skintone and I like that even though it has a neutral undertone, it still has some warmth to it.


    Texture-wise, yes, this powder is indeed very velvety. It's very smooth and fine and surprisingly light as well. Compared to some of my loose powders, Powder Rush feels softer and less creamy. 


    I tested this powder two ways: one with a brush and one with the puff it comes with. Which one's better, you ask?

Well, it depends. For setting the undereyes, I prefer using a brush because I feel like it doesn't pack on the powder too much, and you can easily sweep off and blend out the powder. The product also doesn't feel too heavy on that area when applied with a brush. I used a small fluffy brush on the undereyes and a big one for the rest of my face. With a brush, expect very light coverage.


    Powder Rush Velvet is a SETTING powder, meaning it doesn't offer coverage as full as a powder foundation. It's literally made to set your base without altering the color or add to its opacity. BUT if you want more coverage then use the puff (on the rest of your face, not on the underyes). I like using the puff all over my face because I feel like it really builds the powder better and it'll feel like you're almost wearing a powder foundation. The puff also makes the overall finish of your base more matte.

    The skin-blurring effect was present on both the brush and puff but I feel like the puff blurs fully than the brush. 


    For oil-control, this velvet powder does a good job on keeping my oils at bay for several hours. It won't fully keep you oil-free for the whole day but I like that even though I'm oiling up, my face doesn't look greasy. It's more of a healthy glow than an oil spill, you know? I also like how easy it is to retouch with this powder. All I need to do is blot the oil build up then reapply the powder. It's not patchy, doesn't cling to anything, and doesn't cake.

    Finally, I'm happy to report that this powder DOES NOT HAVE FLASHBACK!!


    Personally, I think this is a good setting powder. It's lightweight, it mattifies the face without looking too dry, and it doesn't alter the color of whatever's underneath it too much. If you're looking for a setting powder for the sake of setting, then I recommend this product. However, if you are looking for a powder that has a medium to full coverage, then this powder may be a little lackluster to you.

    Overall, I'm pretty happy with it and I'm satisfied. Shade's a pretty good match and I like how it sets my concealer. My skin still looks healthy and soft despite being matte and as I've said, I'm so happy it doesn't give me a white cast. Money well spent on this one!

You May Also Like

0 comments