Red Velvet

by - Monday, May 13, 2013


Last night, I baked my very first batch of red velvet cupcakes. My red velvet obsession last week made me search for a lot of red velvet recipes and I ended up with a recipe Joy the Baker shared on her blog which was back in 2009! It wasn't her recipe but she claimed that it was her most favorite red velvet recipe, so I decided to give it a try. (CLICK HERE FOR THE RECIPE)

I made some changes too to make my life easier. Here are the changes:

4 Tablespoons unsalted butter, at room temperature -> 4 Tablespoons salted butter, at room temperature
3/4 cup sugar
1 egg
3 Tablespoons unsweetened cocoa powder
2  Tablespoons red food coloring
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract 
1/2 cup buttermilk -> 1/2 cup evaporated milk
1 cup plus 2 Tablespoons all-purpose flour
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1 1/2 teaspoons distilled white vinegar

For the icing, I decided to go with the classic cream cheese frosting:

2 1/3 cups powdered sugar, sifted -> 1/2 cup powdered sugar, sifted
3 Tablespoons butter, room temperature -> 4 Tablespoons (salted) butter, room temperature
4 ounces cream cheese, room temperature
scant 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon


I absolutely love the taste of these cupcakes! It was chocolate-y, it didn't taste like food coloring (I used the bright red 20ml food coloring of McCormick) nor it didn't lack flavor. The only slight issue was the cupcakes weren't chiffon-like soft. I don't know if that's because of the recipe or me. Oh well. But they weren't as hard as rocks either so that's good. :))

This totally beats the popular red velvet cupcakes people are raving about! I'm never going to spend 60php+ for cupcakes that lack flavor with tasteless cream cheese frosting ever again. Now please excuse me as I get another cupcake to munch on...


You May Also Like

0 comments