White Base, Five Designs

by - Wednesday, August 26, 2015

White polish is a staple in every nail polish addict's stash. It's a basic color alongside black, nude, red, and pink. Personally, it's a color I wish I could pull off. I have major envy on Shay Mitchell (aka Emily Fields on PLL) because she can rock white polish like no other, both on the show and in real life! If you're like me who thinks she can't pull off white on her nails, fret not. I found a loophole! NAIL ART (or something like that).

Here are five ways of jazzing up white polish. Adding details or colors will stand out against the white base and, in a way, will lessen the intensity of the color white on your skin. It's a little cheat for us tanned girls who like to wear bright polish but hate the dimming effect on our hands.

The white polish I used here is OMG White Out. It's somewhat a new purchase and I'm still playing with it. Still thinking of reviewing it though as I applied it on fake nails. SPOILER ALERT! LOLOL Used fake nails on this post because my nails are so not photogenic right now haha! The fake nails I used are the Nail Chip Square Type Transparent ones from Daiso. They look quite gigantic on my hands so I think I'll try the Oval Type next time.

For this, all you need is your white base, a colored polish, a makeup sponge, and a little bit of practice and patience. A two-toned ombre is beginner-friendly but if you're quite hesitant, you can always practice first. There are tons of ombre tutorials on YouTube so be sure to check some out if it's your first time trying it.

TIP: don't just throw out your sponge after two or three dabbing sessions. Take a sharp pair of scissors and snip out the portion that has dried polish. Now you have a new clean surface and you're ready to go!

Products used: OMG White Out + Etude House VIP Girl Nail Polish PK011, John Little disposable makeup sponge

Glitter polishes are the easiest way to jazz up any polish. If you want your base to peek through, use a glitter polish with a clear base. Glitter will stand out and your white base won't be clouded by another color. This will look great as an accent nail as doing all fingers will look a bit over the top. But hey, if that's what you like, be my guest. :)

Products used: OMG White Out + The Face Shop CMX321

If you're good with drawing or painting, go freehand some art on your nails, You can actually do some stuff with just one thing: a dotting tool. It's not just for creating polka dots, you know. Actually, I was gunning for something resembling a flower but the end result's a big /fail. But I decided to just roll with it because it is what it is. I started with the flower (orange), then outlined it with a dark polish, then added a gold border below the dark outline then added some dots in the center. Hopefully, you get the jist.

Products Used: OMG White Out + NARS Sharplines Right (not included in photo) + NARS Sharplines Left + essence Colour & Go 140: Go Bold! + OPI It's My Year + Daniel Stone Dotting Tool.

There was a time when I was obsessed with nail stickers. I outgrew that obsession (thankfully!) but I gotta admit, these little things still have a place in my heart and stash. For my pointer nail, I decided to decorate it with some stickers. I added a border sticker on the middle of my nail then added a little circle on top because why the hell not. (Sudden realization: COLORFUL FLOWERS WILL LOOK GOOD TOO OMG)

Products used: OMG White Out + Etude House Nail Art #14

Want to channel your inner punk? Stick them studs/gems/rocks/whatever you wanna call them. The ones I used here aren't really proper nail studs but they still look badass, don't you think? I have a whole lotta studs in different colors so basically the combos are endless. For a more muted look, just stick a stud near the cuticle area.

Products used: OMG White Out + studs

Have fun!

PS. My photos here in my blog are now pinnable on Pinterest! YAY!

You May Also Like

0 comments