Bake & Munch: Calamansi Blondies

by - Sunday, November 18, 2018


Tangy squares.


I’m all about quick fixes when it comes to baking and cooking (but honestly, more in cooking haha!) so it makes me very happy to see recipes with a short ingredient list. A short ingredient list is everything because it means that 1). it’s wallet friendly, 2). It’s not that hard to do, and 3). You pretty much won’t mess it up. Sometimes you just need something you can do in a jiffy even if you’re pantry isn’t that stocked, you know?

My sister and I grew up with our Mom’s lemon squares, the best one in the world, in my opinion. I remember helping Mom with simple tasks like juicing and zesting the lemons, stirring the lemon topping, and dusting powdered sugar on the finish product. Ahh, good times. 

While I love eating my Mom’s lemon squares, I never got interested in making them just because I know how tedious they are. My sister makes them every now and then but I never in my life dared to try. Again, I’m all about quick bakes and I know lemon squares are made best when you don’t take any shortcuts. Better let patient people do it haha!


So. Since I can’t make the real lemon squares, lemme just make my own version of it. Something that’s quick but as tangy and sweet and has my own spin: Calamansi Blondies. These blondies are cake-like, light and melts in your mouth and has the right balance of sweet and sour. I used calamansi not only because they’re cheaper than lemons but because I find their sourness more intense, plus they’re easier to find and buy. 

This recipe doesn’t have any rising agents so don’t expect a thick product. The blondies look a bit simple so feel free to dress it up by dusting some powdered sugar or even making a quick glaze. You can always swap the calamansi for lemons, if they’re more your cup of tea.

I’ll always love my Mom’s lemon squares, but this will do for now. Hopefully, I’ll get the courage to do the real ones. One day, I promise. But for now, enjoy! x

CALAMANSI BLONDIES
Yield: 16 squares

3/4 c all purpose flour
1/4 t salt (make 1/8 tsp if using salted butter)
1/2 c + 2 tbsp granulated sugar
1/2 c butter, softened
2 eggs, room temp
2 tbsp + 2 tsp to 3 tbsp calamansi juice

1. Preheat oven to 350F and line an 8" baking pan with parchment paper.

2. In a bowl, whisk together flour and salt.

3. In another bowl, cream together butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Add in eggs one at a time. 

4. Add flour mix and calamansi juice to butter-sugar-egg mixture. Stir until just combined.

5. Pour batter to the prepared pan and bake for 25 minutes. Let cool before adding glaze or topping of choice.

You May Also Like

0 comments