No Meat Mondays: Corn, Tomato, & Veggie Pizza

by - Monday, November 12, 2018


Veggie loaded pizza with a corn-coconut sauce.

To be honest, I never thought corn on pizza is a thing. I mean sure, you can put cornmeal on the crust but corn kernels as a pizza topping and as a sauce base? Man, my world was shook upon that discovery.


I went ahead and did this corn pizza because 1). I though it was new and interesting; 2). I've never had a corn sauce on pizza; and 3). It looked fresh and light and not at all greasy. I've never encountered corn and veggie pizza like, ever, so why the hell not. At first, I thought that this pizza would be light and would make me hungry again in no time but after I put on all the toppings? I realized that this loaded pizza would fill me up in a jiffy. Again, this taught me that just because it's meatless doesn't mean it won't be filling. 

Not gonna lie, I found the corn sauce a bit...odd. The combination of corn and coconut was new to me but as I continued eating, the sauce turned out to be a really good complement to the tarteness & freshness of the tomatoes, the bite of the red onion rings, the herbiness of the fresh basil, the sweetness of the corn kernels, and the creaminess and saltiness of the cheese. I may have gone overboard with the coconut milk on my sauce so that's one thing I have to adjust for next time. Other than that, I really won't mind making this pizza again. Corn and coconut sauce: whodathunk??

For this pizza, since I used a store-bought crust, I was able to cook it for less time and on a stovetop. As much as I love baking and chucking things in the oven, I feel like stovetop is fine for this. I'd 100% use an oven if the crust was made from scratch, though, so it's up to you how you like to cook your pizza.

Cheers!


Corn, Tomato, & Veggie Pizza
(adapted from KitchenTreaty.com)
Yield: 1 medium pizza

Corn Sauce:
1/4 - 1/2 c corn kernels (I used canned)
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 - 1 1/2 tbsp olive oil
3-4 tbsp full fat coconut milk
1/4 - 1/2 tsp salt
1/8 tsp black pepper

Other ingredients:
1 medium pizza base, pre-made
1/4 c corn kernels
1 small red or white onion
1 - 2 medium tomatoes, sliced into rings
2 tbsp chopped fresh basil leaves
mushroom slices
grated cheese (leave out or use plant-based cheese to make vegan)

1. To make the sauce: in a blender or food processor, combine all ingredients. Pulse until corn kernels are blitzed; it's okay to have grainy/lumpy sauce.

2. Transfer sauce into a sauce pan and heat up until slightly reduced and not too runny anymore. Adjust seasoning according to taste. Set aside.

3. Spread sauce on pizza crust and start dressing up your pizza. Layer tomatoes first, followed by mushrooms, onion rings, corn kernels, and chopped basil leaves. Finish it off with a good layer of grated cheese.

4. Place pizza in a pan and on the lowest heat setting of your stovetop. Cook for about 15-20 minutes, or until the cheese is fully melted and the crust is golden brown at all sides but not burnt at the bottom. Slice to 4 or 8 pieces and serve. 


You May Also Like

0 comments