No Meat Mondays: Potatoes in Curried Yogurt Sauce

by - Monday, February 18, 2019


Creamy, spicy, and carby.


I am back with another curry recipe! I love making curries because they're very easy to cook. Prep takes longer, to be honest, but once you've got all your ingredients ready, cooking curries is pretty much a breeze. Also, all you need is one pot to cook them (well, at least the easy, non-traditional ones), saving you from a lot of dishwashing. Plus, curries are just like a warm, comforting hug with a kick. Isn't that nice?

Most of my previous curry recipes include chickpeas as an ingredient. Chickpeas are my most favorite source of protein (tofu comes in second) for no-meat days because they're cheap, easy to get, and versatile. But as much as I love those little buggers, for today's recipe, I thought I'd cook with a different vegetable: potatoes.

I've loved potatoes since I was a kid so I got so excited when I found out I can make a curry dish with them. This dish was actually inspired by a dish called Dahi Aloo, pretty much a potato dish with yogurt as a base. The actual dish is spiced, of course, but it has a pretty thin/runny soup base. So with that dish in mind, I made my own spin to it. 

My take still follows the same recipe: potatoes, yogurt, water, and spices, then added a few more extra bits mainly to make a thicker base.  I quite like my curries a bit thick so I added thickening agents to my dish, like coconut milk powder and cornstarch. The coconut milk powder is totally optional but I like the nutty taste it gives so I added it in. Little adjustments here and there, and tada! Potatoes in a spiced yogurt sauce. I absolutely love the whole cumin seeds in this dish. They don't really add texture but when you bite into them, they just burst with flavor that complements the spices and creamy base. As usual, the spice level is totally up to you. I like mine hot but not that hot so I opted to go with my trusty combo, cayenne + paprika, instead of using fresh chillies. I just feel like I have more control with powdered spices than the fresh ones, you know?  Also, feel free to add some protein in here like tofu, chickpeas, or tempeh to make this more filling. Pair with naan or rice.

Enjoy! xx 

PS. Please read note below the recipe. VERY important. :)


POTATOES IN CURRIED YOGURT SAUCE 
(adapted from CookWithManali.com)
Yield: 2


1 1/2 tsp oil
1/4 tsp cumin seeds
1 1/2 tsp finely chopped ginger
1/4 tsp paprika
300g baby potatoes, cut in half
1/2 tsp coriander powder OR 1/4 tsp coriander seeds, toasted then ground
1/4 tsp turmeric powder
1/8 tsp cayenne or chili powder
128g plain yogurt*
1/4 - 3/4 c water
1/4 - 1/2 tsp salt, added at the end
1 tsp cornstarch
optional: 1 - 2 tsp coconut milk powder (or liquid coconut milk)


1. Clean potatoes thoroughly, specially if you'll keep the skins on. Boil potatoes until tender. Set aside.

2. Heat oil in a pan and add in cumin seeds & ginger.

3. When ginger is slightly browned, add in potatoes and spices (paprika, coriander powder, turmeric powder, & cayenne/chili powder)

4. After everything is mixed and heated through, remove pan from heat and add in yogurt, 1 tablespoon at a time.

5. Stir until well combined then transfer pan back to heat.

6. Add in water (start with 1/4 cup) & let it slightly boil. Lower heat and add salt, cornstarch, and coconut milk powder (if using).

7. Let simmer for about 2-4 minutes then serve.


NOTE:
*Before adding in the yogurt, make sure to whisk it until smooth beforehand to avoid curdling. Keep whisking the yogurt as you add it to the pot as well.

You May Also Like

0 comments