A Safe Shade: Detail Makeover Matte in Detail Liquid Lipstick in D5 Loth

by - Thursday, February 13, 2020


MLBB matte.

Sorry if my last lippie review was back in November '19. I had to stop for a bit because my opened lippies were getting numerous and I can't, for the life of me, open new ones knowing I still have a lot to finish. 

The last liquid lipstick I blogged about was the Careline matte liquid lip in Glaze. While the color was a miss, the formula was pretty good. Again, that was back in November. Fast forward to today, I thought I'd share a lippie for VDay's sake because why not. It's always nice to post something for VDay (makeup-wise, at least).


A product of Detail Makeover that I've been eyeing for a while now is their Matte in Detail Liquid Lipsticks. Aside from the lippies having an attractive price tag, the Matte in Detail shade range is pretty broad, with reds, pinks, nudes, and even unconventional ones. Detail Makeover claims the lippies to be "rich, creamy, long wearing color that's waterproof, kiss proof, and transfer proof".

Packaging is quite sleek and lightweight and can be easily stuffed in a purse or small pouch. I like the simplicity of the tube. The shape reminds me of Ellana's liquid lippies, only Detail's is smaller.


I've taken a break from any pink lip shades so the shade I selected was D5 Loth. Loth is a nice warm medium caramel shade with a slightly orange undertone. It's such a nice everyday MLBB that would complement all skin tones.

The one I have a bone to pick with is the formula. The formula is weird AF. Just like other matte liquid lippies, it starts off shiny then dries down to a flat matte. When it dries down, it also feels dry to the touch. Now here's the kicker: even though it's matte to the touch, it never fully dries down. It's like the only thing that dries down matte is the surface-level; underneath it is a layer that won't fully dry. With other mattes, once they're dry, they're set in place and it won't move even if you press your lips tightly together and it won't transfer ever. But this one? This one is one sticky mess once you do that. When I wore it, all I could do was close my lips and force myself to never purse my lips or else, it would stick together and the lippie would peel off. Yes, that would happen even if you give it hours to dry. It won't 100% dry, maybe only just 70%, if you're lucky.

The overly sticky, never drying part still puzzles me because when I applied the lippie, I made sure I only put on a thin layer at a time. I only apply two coats on each lip and then leave it at that. In all fairness, this liquid lippie glided smoothly and I didn't experience tugging or skipping. It was able to become even and opaque in just two thin coats. But yeah, the formula's quite tricky to deal with afterwards. I also tested it if it was waterproof; well, it is on the surface but the water seem to reactivate the formula so it'll be like it's freshly applied and again, will stick and transfer to anything on contact.


Before applying Loth on my lips, I did the usual prep: exfoliate and moisturize. Just like other matte liquid lippies, this is unforgiving on dry and chapped lips. Also, this works best when applied thinly and in layers. 

It's such a bummer when the formula's cons outweigh the pros. Yes, it's lightweight and slightly less cement-y on the lips but it's quite a delicate and tricky thing to work with. I wanna be able to wear this without worrying about transfer and peeling off, you know? So I'm torn about it. I LOVE the shade; the formula, not so much. I'll try to make it work but I probably won't be reaching for it all the time, especially when there's eating and drinking involved. Oh well.

You May Also Like

0 comments