Bake & Munch: Banana Butterscotch Muffins

by - Sunday, October 17, 2021


 

New mix-ins on a classic.

Banana muffins are probably one of my most baked food(???) in our house, mainly because we always have bananas! My dad loves bananas so my mom always gets them whenever she shops. However, sometimes the bananas go ripe quickly to the point where it gets mushier than usual- that's when it's time to get baking. I absolutely love baking with overripe bananas because they're just yummier and gives any baked good a natural-tasting sweetness. They're really lovely when paired with vanilla too!

My go-to banana muffin recipe is the one I've already shared here in the blog (click here to check that out!) and this one's more of a tweaked (and a bit updated) version of the original. I ran out of semi-sweet chocolate chips and walnuts (did a banana muffin baking marathon a couple weeks back) so I had to improvise and experiment with ones I do have: butterscotch chips and slivered almonds. I knew right off that butterscotch chips are sweeter than semi-sweet choco chips so I had to adjust my batter's sugars a bit so that the muffins won't be a huge sugar rush. 

Overall, I quite like how the muffins turned out. The muffins turned out a bit sweeter than the original but I like how the butterscotch chips added a nice caramel flavor to the muffins and the almonds added texture. Although if I were to change something, I'd swap the slivered almonds for chopped walnuts. I prefer the walnuts' nuttiness than the almonds', and I think another good substitute are chopped pecans. Pecans and bananas just go really well together, no? Yeah, maybe I'll try that next time. But for now, enjoy these yummy banana muffins!



Banana Butterscotch Muffins

(adapted from IAmBaker.net)

Yield: 12 muffins


1 1/2 c all purpose flour, sifted before measured

1 teaspoon baking soda

1 teaspoon baking powder

a pinch of salt

1/3 cup butter, melted (I did browned butter but feel free to just melt it)

1 1/4 cups mashed overripe bananas

1/2 cup granulated sugar + 1 tablespoon brown sugar

1 large egg

1 tsp vanilla

1/3 cup butterscotch chips

1/3 cup slivered almonds, plus extra for topping (feel free to use another nuts like walnuts or pecans)


1. Preheat oven to 350F and prep a muffin pan with cupcake liners.

2. In a bowl, cream butter and sugars until light and fluffy, then add in egg and vanilla.

3. Add in mashed bananas and mix well.

4. In a separate bowl, combine flour, baking powder and soda, and salt. Add to banana mixture and mix until just combined. Do not overmix.

5. Fold in butterscotch chips and nuts to the batter. Mix until incorporated.

6. Scoop batter on to prepared muffin pan and top with a few slivered almonds.

7. Bake for 20-25 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean and the muffins have a deep golden brown color.

8. Let cool for a few minutes before serving. Enjoy!


You May Also Like

0 comments