What I Love: Neutral Eyeshadows

by - Wednesday, January 25, 2012

  Neutral eyeshadows are probably the best shadows a girl can have in their makeup kit or collection. They're not as complicated to use compared to colored ones and you can never go wrong with them. These shadows are also versatile; you can use them to create a natural look for daytime and smoke it out for nighttime. In this post, I'll show you the neutral eyeshadows in my kit that I love, the ones I always reach for when I do bridal and natural makeup and for smokey and sultry looks.


  Before I start, keep in mind that these shadows are from some of the makeup palettes I have. I don't have single shadows right now though I would love to have some in the future. :)

Virgin (Naked Palette)
- Virgin is a light cream colored shadow with a satin finish. It has a subtle pink undertone as well. It is the lightest shade in the palette and I use it to highlight the inner corners. I really like how it brightens the eyes instantly without looking too frosty and too disco ball-like. It may be a little frosty to use as a brow highlight but if you put  very little shadow on your brow bone and blend it well, it looks amazing. 

Naked (Naked Palette)
- Naked is, so far, the best crease shadow for natural looks. It's not as brown as other shadows but not as light that it can be used as a highlighter. It is a safe shadow that can be used to blend harsh edges and can act as a "transition color" for smokey and darker looks.

Buck (Naked Palette)
- Buck is the darker and browner counterpart of Naked. I use this shadow if I want a more defined and obvious crease and when I create a 50's/pin-up look. A nice wash of a lighter lid color + this shadow for the crease + a black, bold winged eyeliner + red, glossy lips = Va va voom.

Half Baked (Naked Palette)
- Half Baked is a subtle, lustrous bronze shadow. I use it mostly on the lid and on the lower lashline on some smokey looks. Oh, and please excuse my Half Baked shadow if it looks like crap. I dipped a wet brush on it during a photoshoot last year and that ended looking like that. :( It still has great payoff though!

Smog (Naked Palette)
- Smog is my most favorite shadow in this palette! It is a mid-deep coppery bronze shadow with a metallic/shimmery finish. I love the effect it creates when used on brown-eyed girls (including me!). It warms up the eyes without making it too dark and heavy.

Darkhorse (Naked Palette)
- Darkhorse is probably the deepest brown shadow in the Naked palette. It's the perfect shadow for the outer v, for creating a cut crease, for smokey eyes, even as eyeliner. What makes it even prettier? The flecks of bronze in it, of course!

Downtown (Kat Von D Tattoo Chronicles Candelabra Edition)
- This is my favorite copper shadow in the Candelabra palette. It has a frost finish and a lovely shadow for brown eyes.

Evil Monkey (Kat Von D Tattoo Chronicles Candelabra Edition)
- I think Evil Monkey is the shadow you'll get if you mix Naked and Buck. It's not as light as Naked but not as dark as Buck. It looks like it has a matte finish but once swatched, it actually has a subtle satin finish. Another great shadow for the crease.

Matte Brown Shadow (Cosmoprof Academy Makeup Palette)
- This is my most used shadow in this palette from my school. It has a milk chocolate shade which really warms up the crease. It is completely matte- perfect for natural and bridal looks.

NYX Shadows from the Make-Up Artist Palette
- No names for the eyeshadows in this palette since they didn't bother to put it either on the box and on their website. But these are the neutral shadows I always use when I have this palette with me.

a. (l-r) Reddish/copperish shadow almost a darker version of Downtown; a beige shimmery shadow perfect for the lids.

b. (l-r) A satin chocolate brown shadow with a plumy undertone; a shimmery light taupe shadow; a light golden copper shadow (looks like the outcome when you combine Smog and Half Baked).

c. A beige/champagne-looking shadow which is similar to the Naked palette's Sin, only this is lighter and does not contain glitter.

  So these are my favorite/most used neutral shadows in my kit. What are YOUR favorite neutral shadows?


You May Also Like

0 comments